Chickens never go into coop, what to do for nest boxes?

I agree with Jferlisi- at night take them and put them in the coop on their roost- wait until dark though or they will just jump off and head back out into the run. If you do that for a week or two they should get in the habit of sleeping in there. Good luck!

I had a problem with mine sitting out in the dirt or the grass at night. What I did was I hung a light in the coop and I would turn it on and they would go up in there to sleep. Once they were all in there I would secure the coop and turn off the light. I had to do this for about a week or so and then they just started putting themselves to bed. You might try that at least to get them to sleep in there.

I've tried putting them on their roost in the coop at night. The first week they were given access to their run, I would go out there at dusk, grab each of them, and put them inside. By the time I got the last chicken in, the other three were on their way outside! lol. I thought they would get better at it.

It may be a possibility that its warm in the coop, but its warm outside too! I've used frozen water bottles (which they stare at, blankly, and peck at it, but dont know how to use it, lol).

I may try the light idea, and turn on a light in the run, maybe they will head into the coop for darkness?

Or possibly put their food in the coop to entice them?

I would hate to shut them back in the coop, but that may be a last resort once I see that they are beginning to lay?

Am I the only one with this problem???

Actually turn the light on in the coop not the run. I guess chickens are scared of the dark or something, that is the reason mine seemed to stay in the run was because of the outdoor lights being brighter than the dark, scary coop. I put the light on in the coop a bit before the sun went down and they would go in and then I would shut it off. They trained themselves in a few days then I stopped using the lights.

Ohhhh okay.

So do i lock them in at night once they are in then? What time in the morning do i need to let them out?

Do i need to add a waterer for them in the coop for nighttime if thats the case? This is my first time with chickens, and they are shockingly stubborn creatures!!
roll.png

I was looking at your photos and noticed a plain board with no slats for them to climb up the ramp.. Maybe try adding some pieces of wood across so they have something to grab making it easier to climb the ramp to go inside.. Good luck.....

Quote:
Yes lock them in at night. You where trying to do it to early. Wait till its dark out to do it, and lock them in after. You can let them out when ever you want. I let mine out at about 10 am. Ya i would put a waterer in there and a small thing for food.

Quote:
I took that photo before adding the slats
smile.png
They have a chicken ladder now.

I will try doing this technique! I'll let you guys know how it works!

Quote:
I took that photo before adding the slats
smile.png
They have a chicken ladder now.

I will try doing this technique! I'll let you guys know how it works!

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom