Chickens not eating lay mash

miwin1000

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
I have been giving them organic greens, scratch, and other scraps. They stopped eating their mash all together. SO...tonight I locked them in their coop with just lay mash and water. They don't get to come out tomorrow until they eat their mash. If they don't eat in the morning, they will stay in their coop tomorrow too, until they eat their mash. They also stopped laying eggs except for the minimal they can get away with...NO MORE! and the Egg Eater...when I figure out which one it is, will be destined for the stew pot. I cannot afford to feed them if they won't reciprocate...

Hi there

I think they aren't eating the mash because they have plenty of greens to eat and aren't hungry. Also refrain from giving them too many treats, greens and scratch as it can cause them to stop laying. I wouldn't lock them in the coop. I would stop giving them greens, scratch etc, for a while, and they should start laying again. All treats in moderation
wink.png

There are ways to break a hen of egg eating. I had a few hens who used to eat their eggs, and this article really helped me to break them of it, and prevent it from happening again. I haven't had an egg eating hen in over a year!
wee.gif
I would try before putting her in the stew pot.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Hope this helps!

I did that already. I stopped giving them anything other than their lay mash for days...and they did not eat it, even after switching to organic. I see them peck at it a bit. I think they're getting tons of food from the yard...bugs and such. I know that's good, but at this time, they're not eating they're mash, and not laying eggs. SO, hence locking them in the coop...they get NOTHING except their mash. Either they eat that, or go hungry. Of course, I do have one egg eater...I plan to discover which one that is too! I will put different colored ribbons or rings on their legs, and one by one, lock them in a crate. When I find the egg eater....it's bye bye chickie! Love you all....good luck with your chickies, hope you get tons of eggs, and solve all your problems. I will find solutions one at a time.

The egg eating might be caused by not enough protein. Increase their feeds protein content to help satisfy the craving, and provide additional calcium to strengthen the egg shells.

I feed them tuna, mackerel, milk, cheese, and sometimes even hamburger. They get plenty of protein, I put oyster shells in their mash, and also have a supplement that I bought for them that is supposed to increase their nutrition a bunch. On chicken still lays eggs with paper thin shells. I lead the chickens to the good stuff, but I can't make them eat it. unless of course I lock them up in their coop...which btw is a very good sized coop, with roll a way laying bins. I shouldn't be having these problems.

Have you wormed them? It could be that a heavy parasite load is interfering with nutrient absorption. If you are feeding them properly and they are still exhibiting signs of nutrient deficiencies, worms are probably the cause of the problem.

I have not actually wormed them, but I use DE freely in the yard as pest control, I keep them clean and bathed if necessary, and there is tobacco around in the yard for them to eat if they wish to do so. I do not see any evidence of worms at all. None of my other animals have worms (nor fleas, nor tics, nor other common pet pests) and never had had here on my property where I have lived the last 13 years. I have had a small problem with chicken mites, but as I said, I keep after everything pretty good. Once in a while I get someone egg bound, and I take care of that and they go on their merry way. They have gotten sick once and I used terramyacin to help them thru that. I don't like using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary and don't use it often. once in a while I put GSE in their water, or use vetrx if they have respiratory ailments, but for the most part, they are healthy. Maybe they're getting ready to Molt? they are 21/2 years old and have never molted before.

They can get parasitic worms from pecking in the soil or even eating earthworms. They are something that your chickens can get no matter how perfect your husbandry practices are. You're never going to be able to control every variable. If a wild bird with worms poos in or around your coop area, and then your chickens peck at the dirt around that same area, they can contract worms. Sometimes there aren't any visible signs of worms. Remember that some intestinal parasites are microscopic. The fact that despite having adequate calcium in the diet, you are still having poor quality eggs shells means that something is interfering with nutrients getting absorbed.

I have to agree with what you said here. Yes, wild birds to frequent the palace, and my birds are free range...within my own yard. I can put some tobacco out for them and see if that helps. I would think the DE all over the place would provide some assistance with any worm problem, but as you said, I can't fight it all all the time. I will do something to see if that's the problem. I will also give them all a bath to see if mites are the problem. They get good enough feed, so nutrition should not be a problem here. Thanks for your persistence and offerings of information. I can be a bugger to work with sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom