Strange Feeding Behavior

Happily Retired

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Texas Hill Country
I am in need of some guidance. I have 8 Barred Rock Hens which are 18 months old and are coming up on 1 year of laying. When they became of laying age I used the Tractor Supply layer feed which they loved. I have a homemade bucket feeder for the dry feed.

About 6 or 8 months ago I switched to a West layer feed because of the TSO feed scare relating to loss of egg production and cost. They were fine on the new feed until about a month ago when I noticed a a drop in daily egg production (7 down to 4) and a very large amount of the feed on the coop floor hidden under the bedding. I had a bag of the TSO left over and they seemed to do better. So when that bag ran out this week, I went back to the West feed but they turned their nose up and would have nothing to do with it.

So I fed them cooked rice/beans/peas which they gobbled up so I figured it had to be the feed if their appetites were good. I also tried taking the West feed and mixing it with water to make a mush and lo and behold they gobbled it up. So I crushed up some of the feed and made crumbles which a 2 or 3 tried but still left the larger bits. Now the only commercial feed they will eat is the mash. (While I am going thru all of this, the egg count went up to about 6/day)

With the pelleted dry feed, I only have to fill the bucket every 4 to 5 days. If I am relegated to the mash feed, I will be out there 2 or 3 times a day.

So does anyone have any insight or suggestions. I have even tried offering them grit, thinking that they couldn't grind up the pellets but they were not interested in it.

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer.

There was never anything wrong with any feeds so just switch to whatever feed you used before.
They've gotten spoiled by the mash and cooked treats, no healthy animal will not eat if there's food.
Make sure the feed in the feeders has a recent mull date and still fresh, not rancid.
Fill up the feeders and let them go.

Back
Top Bottom