Why is all the feed so old in stores?

I have a local feed store order in my feed monthly, it's always fresh coming right from feed company. But I have a big order not sure how much feed you go through or if you could get any to order in for you. Alot of larger chain feed stores buy their feed in bulk and it is stored in large warehouses until sold out however long that takes. I would try to find small local private feed store to order from if possible good luck.

I understand the frustration! We had a constant problem with this last year.
One time, I was so upset with the dates I just asked when the next shipment would come in and came back then. Our TSC has a high turnover... when I got there two days later, the new feed was a month OLDER than the previous stuff, 10 months old.
I complained to the feed manager and he was befuddled on why it would be an issue. Or he pretended to be confused about it, hard to say. "It doesn't expire" said he.

I checked all their brands and found old feed across the board. The manager said he hadn't seen recent dated feed come in in a long time.
And a chain like TSC works off of main distribution hubs, supplying many stores. Thus, my theory is that they were still trying to clear the warehouse of backlogs somehow caused by storing up extra feed in fear of the shipment kerfuffles from early last year and before. That's the only reason I can think of that a new pallet of feed would be older than what they previously had.
So far this year most of the feed I've seen has been about 3 months old, and I count myself happy with that!

I think supplementing was the best decision you could make. It's frustrating to have to do that though!

I understand the frustration! We had a constant problem with this last year.
One time, I was so upset with the dates I just asked when the next shipment would come in and came back then. Our TSC has a high turnover... when I got there two days later, the new feed was a month OLDER than the previous stuff, 10 months old.
I complained to the feed manager and he was befuddled on why it would be an issue. Or he pretended to be confused about it, hard to say. "It doesn't expire" said he.

I checked all their brands and found old feed across the board. The manager said he hadn't seen recent dated feed come in in a long time.
And a chain like TSC works off of main distribution hubs, supplying many stores. Thus, my theory is that they were still trying to clear the warehouse of backlogs somehow caused by storing up extra feed in fear of the shipment kerfuffles from early last year and before. That's the only reason I can think of that a new pallet of feed would be older than what they previously had.
So far this year most of the feed I've seen has been about 3 months old, and I count myself happy with that!

I think supplementing was the best decision you could make. It's frustrating to have to do that though!
yes, this exactly! And so bizarre that they (pretend to?) have no concept of feed shelf life limitations. I have heard the same nonsense - “oh, that stuff keeps for years…” The non-chain stores get their feeds already old from their distributors. But now even the store that buys straight from the manufacturer has old bags?
I wonder if it’s the bird flu somehow. They have had to slaughter hundreds and hundreds of thousands of chickens in the big egg producing farms in our county - maybe manufacturers got stuck with surplus feed that they are still trying to sell off?

yes, this exactly! And so bizarre that they (pretend to?) have no concept of feed shelf life limitations. I have heard the same nonsense - “oh, that stuff keeps for years…” The non-chain stores get their feeds already old from their distributors. But now even the store that buys straight from the manufacturer has old bags?
I wonder if it’s the bird flu somehow. They have had to slaughter hundreds and hundreds of thousands of chickens in the big egg producing farms in our county - maybe manufacturers got stuck with surplus feed that they are still trying to sell off?
Inventory control at the distribution centers is often a problem. particularly at chain stores, where the vast majority of their inventory is not time sensitive, FIFO inventory management practices may not be drilled in and monitored the way they are at a grocery, restaurant, etc. Worse, those warehouses generally aren't climate controlled, because most of the products they stock are temperature and humidity agnostic.

Idk about your feed, but mine is cheaper and so is my dog food
oh - I apologize. I just double checked and in fact the Modesto Milling is priced similarly to what I pay in stores. I wonder how they do it. It’s the S&P where a 25lb bag at Chewy is the price of a large bag at the store.
But then I can’t check the date on the bag I get at all… they probably don’t offer free returns, and I don’t want to be stuck with a bag I can’t use…

Back
Top Bottom