Chicken feed

Weighing in with my feed regimen.

I feed Purina flock raiser and have for many years. It is a 20% protein feed and appropriate for all life stages.

My birds have no trouble maintaining weight and lay very well even into their "golden years". I keep both high production and low production breeds.
Currently I have 2 BSL and 2 California Whites approaching 8 years old. All 4 are healthy and active as well as giving us 4-6 eggs a week each. My many younger birds are thriving on it as well.

To me that is worth the cost.

Oyster shell on the side of course.

Last edited:
I am feeding Kalmbach 20% Full Plume & Feathering Feed. I always feed 18-20%. This is a layer feed. Got this from Chewy for $22 a bag just a bit more than the $21 I pay for Kalmbach Flock Maker locally. Chewy's price was a special for doing autoship so I won't be getting it there again. I could order it locally but hate having to keep up with that. Another feed store carries Kalmbach Wild Flush 18% game bird breeder pellets. They are $19.99/50lbs. & mini pellets like the feed I'm feeding now. I may go to that next.

I feel that it's a balance between quality nutrition and cost. I have 3 indoor cats who are my "children" and I would never feed them inferior quality food. BUT after a week of intensive research, I found an inexpensive food that Is high quality. Same with my hens. I don't want to feed them junk, but I also won't pay over $20/50lb bag of food. Some companies try to shame you into buying their expensive feed b/c why not get the best? Comparing side-by-side ingredient lists often shows that many high-priced feeds are no better than some bargain feeds. Thank you all for weighing in on feed. With 6 hens I feel that I should get about 4-5 eggs/day which is a good indicator of adequate nutrition...

Back
Top Bottom