Opinions on best feed.

Pics

Theorrin

Songster
May 18, 2023
Louisiana
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on the best feed brands you use. I got away from Dumor and producer's pride as my babies wasn't getting enough from them. I'm currently using Purina but since Dumor is made by Purina I'm not entirely trusting of it.

Lack of egg laying, dull feathers, no to low energy (with dumor) purina seems fine as everyone is healthy and active but just wasn't trusting. Edit: and as stated i just want opinions.
What method are you using to decide what feed are good or bad for your birds?
Dumor is owned by Purina but they do their own milling. Both feed are fine.

Lack of egg laying, dull feathers, no to low energy (with dumor) purina seems fine as everyone is healthy and active but just wasn't trusting. Edit: and as stated i just want opinions.
Egg production isn't usually affected by feed unless it's really low protein and old and in that case, it would likely stop.
We can't really answer this question unless you provide more information on what your birds get and do.
Treats/scraps? In a coop or free ranging?
What feed works best for being cooped up with little to no treats might not be good for birds that get moderate treats and free ranging. We need find the nutritional balance for how we individually care for our birds.
If it was just the basic 16% layer, a lot of bird don't do well on that, the proteins too low, especially if they get treats or get to scamper around the yard.

It's hard to beat the Kalmbach brand from a quality and cost standpoint.
My chickens have done well with Kalmbach. I have 6 week old chicks on Starter/Grower. They will end up on the 20% Flock Maker when they integrate with the adults. I have 5 chicks, 5 hens, and a rooster. I keep crushed eggshells and oyster shell available in separate containers.

Egg production isn't usually affected by feed unless it's really low protein and old and in that case, it would likely stop.
We can't really answer this question unless you provide more information on what your birds get and do.
Treats/scraps? In a coop or free ranging?
What feed works best for being cooped up with little to no treats might not be good for birds that get moderate treats and free ranging. We need find the nutritional balance for how we individually care for our birds.
If it was just the basic 16% layer, a lot of bird don't do well on that, the proteins too low, especially if they get treats or get to scamper around the yard.
our tsc is know for selling old feed. but here since a simple question for opinions to make a list of feeds in general is so hard to do: free range of 1/4th acre fenced in with their coop and completely pred proof. 1 handful (small hand mind you) of wild bird seed mixed with mealworms (across 60+ chickens). no scraps. hydro hen in the water that gets changed daily. and kickin chicken 20oz per 50lb bag (though i do that once a month instead of every bag as directed). im asking for general opinions just to see if there may be some brands that might be better overall that i dont know of as our tsc doesnt sell much and they ran off the local boys

My chickens have done well with Kalmbach. I have 6 week old chicks on Starter/Grower. They will end up on the 20% Flock Maker when they integrate with the adults. I have 5 chicks, 5 hens, and a rooster. I keep crushed eggshells and oyster shell available in separate containers.
thank you!

Back
Top Bottom