Opinions on best feed.

DDGS (Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles) is a co-product of corn processing in a Dry Grind Plant. It is essentially everything in a corn kernel except the carbohydrate portion. It contains about three time the protein and crude fiber as corn since the carbohydrates are used by the bacteria to ferment into ethanol.

In the past decade the industry developed methods to remove the oil in DDGS to sell as Corn Oil or to be used to make BioDiesel. This changes the value proposition for Nutritionists like me to consider when using DDGS in formulations.

DDGS (Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles) is a co-product of corn processing in a Dry Grind Plant. It is essentially everything in a corn kernel except the carbohydrate portion. It contains about three time the protein and crude fiber as corn since the carbohydrates are used by the bacteria to ferment into ethanol.

In the past decade the industry developed methods to remove the oil in DDGS to sell as Corn Oil or to be used to make BioDiesel. This changes the value proposition for Nutritionists like me to consider when using DDGS in formulations.
And only Nestle uses it.
Big surprise!
https://www.greenoptimistic.com/nestle-maggi-banned-india/

I use Tucker Millings chicken and horse feed. It is out of Alabama. I use 22% super lay.
They have a hole line of feeds.
I hear nothing but bad things about Purina chicken food, dog food and horse food.
Thanks for mentioning Tucker Millings. I have been looking for an Alabama source, and they sell their feed at a local Pigley Wigley store here in Dothan.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on the best feed brands you use. I got away from Dumor and producer's pride as my babies wasn't getting enough from them. I'm currently using Purina but since Dumor is made by Purina I'm not entirely trusting of it.
We've been getting great results with Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. Everybody's healthy and happy, and we get 10-14 eggs/day from 14 10-month-old hens. We tried a few other brands but they didn't seem to like the others as well and they can't stand pellets.

Seems Nestle/Purina is the only company using it.

Turns out to be a byproduct of fuel production.
I guess it makes sense because Cargill is a major chemical processing company.
Actually, Corn Distillers grain is NOT specifically a byproduct of Fuel Production. Its a byproduct of ethanol (alcohol) production, which is the way it was used for the majority of human history. Only the US change to industrial policy in response to the fuel crisis in the 1970s, with the associated ethanol subsidies, has resulted in corn's widespread use to produce a fuel additive - particularly from the 90s on (and thus, the production of massive amounts of byproducts from commercial corn ethanol production - millions of tons each month) - instead of going directly into the feed whole.

a good read

But then, widespread use of soy meal in chicken feed is made possible by the economics of soybean oil production, so who am i to complain?

No matter how many times you repeat it, Nestle and Purina aren't the same company. In the case of US made livestock feeds, they have nothing to do with one another.

Cargill licenses use of the Purina name outside the US, having obtained it from AgriBrands International more than two decades ago. Cargill does have Nutrena (look at the bottom of the webpage) Now look at the ingredients list on one of their products

The Biggest US producers of ethanol (and thus, byproducts of ethanol production like DDG and DDGS) are Poet, Archer Daniels Midlands (ADM), Valero, Marquis, Green River. The list was similar in 2006. Cargill's total US capacity is smaller than ADMs Illinois plant.

There is over 500# of feed in my locker right now. None of it is made by Purina. or Nestle. or Nutrena (a Cargill brand). Top three ingredients? Grain Products. Plant Products. Grain by-products.

Grain by-products. Including, potentially, DDGS, corn gluten meal, and many other things besides. Start looking at bags from other local mills, you will in some cases see the same. Nor is it only local mills and bottom basement price points. Here's Nature's Best Organics.

You are entitled to your opinions, but when you insist on repeating as "fact" things which are easily, trivially, and repeatedly disproven, a reasonable person might reasonably question the value of your opinions. Particularly after you have been repeatedly offered correction for your errors.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on the best feed brands you use. I got away from Dumor and producer's pride as my babies wasn't getting enough from them. I'm currently using Purina but since Dumor is made by Purina I'm not entirely trusting of it.
I changed to dug or two bags ago and egg production has gone down 1/2 I went back to tractor supply inexpensive food.

Back
Top Bottom