Chickens out in the rain

Quote:
Chickens are quite dumb when it comes to rain (at least mine are). If you want to keep them dry, don't let them free range. Some chickens know better than to stand out in the rain, some don't. I wouldn't worry about it too much
smile.png

Wish my chickens were more afraid of the rain than the snow!

I noticed some of the babies are huddled under the coop and a few are inside. But the bigs are wandering around like it's no big deal. Maybe I'm the one who doesn't like cold wet days
smile.png

I used to think my chickens were crazy for standing out in the rain, getting all wet & smelly! Then I realized the insects come out of the ground during the rain (worms are plentiful), so I guess they know something we don't. I was funny to watch them this past winter trying to figure out what snow was
lol.png
They tried really hard not to get near the white stuff, but with 5 ft of snow on the ground during February...I ended up shoveling their pen out!

112329_p2030193.jpg

Quote:
Won`t hurt them a bit. When it rains really hard they will seek shelter.......Pop

X2

My 6 girls have run of the backyard during the day, when it rains hard do they go back to the pen where it's dry? Nope, they cram themselves under the slide of my nieces' swingset....usually all you can see are tails sticking out. They will stay out when it's lightly sprinkling but really don't like to be wet....I've told them they need to get used to since we live in Portland Oregon....LOL!!

Quote:
I have an auto coop door opener - so they let themselves out into the run unless it malfunctions. I figured they would stay inside as it's nice & warm and dry inside their coop. But noooooo they're out there wet as can be. And now the rooster is crowing like he wants me to let them out of the run. Fat chance of that happening.

Mine don't mind the rain, either, but I put them back in the coop a few hours before sundown so they have time to dry before it gets cold. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Back
Top Bottom