Chickens; Quieter alone? And quiet chickens?

there aren't any quiet chickens, just less noisy individuals. And that is what it will come down to, the individual bird. I've owned some that don't make a peep and others that the people 3 houses down the highway can hear.
With the noise ordanance you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. Noise complaints don't count during the day in 99.9999% of cases and at night chickens are quiet unless something scares them. Even in cases where the chickens might be disturbing the peace, it has to be a constant on-going problem. IE not make noise for a while and then stop and then make noise again later. That is why people get away with those annoying dogs that bark all the time.

Yeah but some breeds are just really loud... And some are more docile than others.

Is there any way to train a chicken? I feel like if I can train a betta I ought to be able to train a chicken to be quiet...

My turkens are quiet. They are a very fun breed to have. My EEs are pretty loud, they're still young though.

there aren't any quiet chickens, just less noisy individuals. And that is what it will come down to, the individual bird.
This is correct and
Yeah but some breeds are just really loud.
this is debatable at best, and it will not solve your issue. Nor will "training."

Chickens make noise. If you want a silent pet do not get them. If you want minimal noise you will need to be willing to cull the individual hens you get that make noise.

I have never met a truly quiet chicken. LOL I do however have one chicken that doesn't do the egg song very often and just makes small noises most of the time. She is an EE...I started with six EEs and not all of them are quiet. In fact, one of my EEs is my loudest and most persistent at making bagawking noises ALL day long. Right now I have 3 EEs left of the original flock, a white leghorn, a speckled sussex, a buff orpington, a partridge rock, a rhode island red, and a golden sexlink. My loudest is still the one EE we call Muffy...she just LOVES to talk to us and nothing will shut her up. LOL Granted, the 3 EEs are a year old and all the others are not quite at laying age yet (which, I have noticed, REALLY makes a difference in telling how noisy they will be). They are all fairly quiet until they start laying...then they really pick up in the noise department.
wink.png
Like someone mentioned previously, it really depends upon the individual chicken, not the breed...and it's nearly impossible to tell how loud a chicken will be until they get to laying age because that is when they really become vocal.

there aren't any quiet chickens, just less noisy individuals. And that is what it will come down to, the individual bird. I've owned some that don't make a peep and others that the people 3 houses down the highway can hear.
With the noise ordanance you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. Noise complaints don't count during the day in 99.9999% of cases and at night chickens are quiet unless something scares them. Even in cases where the chickens might be disturbing the peace, it has to be a constant on-going problem. IE not make noise for a while and then stop and then make noise again later. That is why people get away with those annoying dogs that bark all the time.

True!!! I have neighbors with dogs that are just obnoxious, carry on all hours of the day and night since they never leave their kennels. My chickens don't make a fraction of the racket they do.

This is correct and
this is debatable at best, and it will not solve your issue. Nor will "training."

Chickens make noise. If you want a silent pet do not get them. If you want minimal noise you will need to be willing to cull the individual hens you get that make noise.

Problem with silent pets... They don't lay eggs. Bring me a rabbit that lays eggs and I'll be happy to keep them instead. :3
And I have had people tell me that training is very possible so...

Yes, you can train a chicken to do things. When I was a kid I used to go to Knott's Berry Farm and watch a chicken play the piano.

But you cannot train a chicken to be quiet. The egg song is a vibrant and beautiful part of a bird. It's loud and fantastic. It goes together w/ the eggs you want.

Back
Top Bottom