Chickens roosting in enclosed run, will not go into coop

I had this problem with young peacocks last winter. Lost 1 to exposure before someone suggested I add a light inside the coop and remove all the roosts from the run. That did the trick, they followed the light and started roosting inside.

A friend told me go get some golf balls and put in the laying boxes. So I did about 4:30 pm today. I walked past the coop about 5:30 and noticed all the chickens were gone. I looked at the enclosure door and it was locked. So I walked over to the coop window and this is what I saw.

So WTH? I put golf balls in the best and they decide to sleep in the coop! ????? He said this also will help them start laying eggs. Has anyone heard of this?

FYI : the top of the coop is clear plastic like tin, allows lots of natural light in.

The golf balls will suggest the where to lay the eggs....when they are ready to lay.

I suggest that you move the perch in front of the nests farther away from the front of the nests..best at about 8-10".

Make sure your roosts, where you want them to sleep at night, are higher by at least a foot, than the nests of they may sleep(and poop) n the nests.

Last edited:
Ok, the birds are roosting in the coop at 5:00pm everyday. Now, I have Aracana and Bared hens. They are 6-8 months old. I put golf balls in the laying boxes. They are eating Purena laying feed What else can I do to start egg production?

Last edited:
I don't think you told us how old they are?

Sometimes first year layers will lay all winter without supplemental lighting, sometimes they won't.
Older layers need 14-16 hours of light to lay regularly thru winter. Last winter I used a 40 watt incandescent light(this year I am using a CFL) that comes on early in the morning to provide 14-15 hours of light and they go to roost with the natural sundown. Last year I started the lighting increase a bit late(mid October), the light should be increased slowly, and the pullets didn't start laying until late December. Here's pretty good article on supplemental lighting. Some folks think that using lighting shortens the years a hen will lay, I don't agree with that theory but I also plan to cull my older hens for soup at about 3 years old.

My post above pretty much explains that your first year pullets may not start laying until the days get longer...

.....and several people made suggestions about how to get them to roost in the coop.

not sure what else we can tell you.

Back
Top Bottom