Freaking GO TO BED

R Drisaldi

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2024
Hello everyone -
I moved my 6 five week old chicks to their coop/run. I built them a Taj Mahal. I’m having an issue with them not going into the coop before my automatic door closes. I tried keeping them in the coop for a few consecutive days. Made it for 48 hours before our Texas weather instantly turned to summer. (90 degree high temps) They roost on the 2x4 framing in their run. I have to put them up every night.
I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Hello everyone -
I moved my 6 five week old chicks to their coop/run. I built them a Taj Mahal. I’m having an issue with them not going into the coop before my automatic door closes. I tried keeping them in the coop for a few consecutive days. Made it for 48 hours before our Texas weather instantly turned to summer. (90 degree high temps) They roost on the 2x4 framing in their run. I have to put them up every night.
I’d appreciate any suggestions.
They may just need time.
Could you make their door close maybe 20 minutes later?

Chickens try to roost in the highest available spot. Try blocking off anything that's higher than the roost inside the coop?

It does take a while for young chicks to get used to going to the coop. You could also go out every evening before dark and herd them in. It takes about a week for them to learn where home is.

If you prop the door open do they eventually go inside for the night, or are they not going in anyhow? It's a little confusing because you mentioned they're roosting the run, but I'm trying to figure out if they are doing that because they can't get in, or because they don't want to go in?

Since you are in a hot climate how hot is your coop in the evening? Is it well ventilated?

If you prop the door open do they eventually go inside for the night, or are they not going in anyhow? It's a little confusing because you mentioned they're roosting the run, but I'm trying to figure out if they are doing that because they can't get in, or because they don't want to go in?

Since you are in a hot climate how hot is your coop in the evening? Is it well ventilated?
Great questions. The coop is well ventilated, with three windows. It’s a bit warm in there at night but definitely not hot. To that point, I’m going to see about removing the sliding glass part of the windows. (I have the entire window covered in hardware cloth. Might help get more air flow in there. As far as roosting in the run. The door is wide open until dark. Another member suggested I put the auto door in manual mode to keep it open a little later than dark. I thought that was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom