chickens sleeping in laying box.

20tundra

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 8, 2009
mississippi
Last night I went to check on my chickens and there were 2 in one egg box and 2 in the other box sleeping. They usually are all on the roosts except one that sleeps in the box occasionally. I would have thought they were cold but last night was a lot warmer than the previous two nights. I guess I'll have to start blocking off the boxes at night if it continues.

Or you can go out each night, for a few nights maybe a week, and move them to the roosts. Use as little light as possible to do this. I use a penlight. It takes patience and consistency, but you can break them of sleeping in the nestboxes.
I can't block off my nestboxes, due to the way they are situated in the coop. Also, I sleep way later than my hens do. Breaking the hens that wanted to sleep in the nestboxes of the habit was the only solution for me.

I may try that first since I also sleep later than the chickens do and they are mostly laying early in the morning.

My RIR rooster started roosting on the front edge of the nesting box. Several nights in a row I would coax him back on the roost.
I finally removed the nest box and using three pieces of coat hanger bent into a U-shape. I drilled holes in the front edge of the nest
box then inserted them so that they where sticking up about 1 1/2". Apparently it made it uncomfortable enough for him not to be
able to sleep. He is now rooting where he should be. I thought maybe my two layers wouldn't like having to climb over the coat hangers,
but it doesn't seem to bother them.

I have found that my molting hens are spending some time in the nest boxes to keep warm, I think!
Goldie was in one most of today ( temps in the 20s) but tonight was roosting next to the others. Spreckles spent some time in the nest box when she was in her worst molt, too. Usually it has only been one night right at the start of the molt that they spend IN the nest box. Other than that they snuggle next to the others on the roost. I assume they feel lousy and just want to be alone for the night. I know I would if i was molting!

I have two cochins that are 4 1/2 months old and have not started to lay eggs. They have a box of pine shavings in their coop, and they prefer to sleep together in the box instead of the roost. I have purchased two nesting boxes for when the time comes. How important is it that they don't sleep in the nesting boxes? Is it because other chickens will need to use the box, or is it just a designated place for them to lay only? Should I start to train them now to sleep on the roost? They're so cute cuddled together in their happy box!

mine only sleep in there at night but......its not a bad thing they are just trying to sleep.....

Quote:
i agree. i wouldn't worry about it unless your hens are fat and clumsy and break eggs while they are in there.
hmm.png

The only reason I don't like mine sleeping in the nest box is they fill it up with poop. Usually the next box stays pretty clean (and so do the eggs), but as soon as someone sleeps in it, it gets gross and the eggs are dirty when I collect them.

Jdellosso, poop covered eggs is why people don't want them sleeping in the boxes, but since yours aren't laying yet, you could just let them be for now. They will start to roost on their own when they're ready, adult chickens instinctively like a high roost to sleep on. I know what you mean about how sweet they look cuddled in the box! And they're probably warmer too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom