Chickens sound like they are growling. Whats up

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I got some young chickens 12-14 wks up to just under 8 months. 5 pullets to be exact and one rooster. The rooster crows as expected , as he is older but my question is this. I had some red layers and white ones last year. Just typical feed store hatchlings.

These ones are Americauna mix. Just picked them up 2 days ago. Now they were free range so not used to being cooped up. Somebody but not the roo is making a sort of guttural chicken sounding growl.. Almost like a ticked off chicken growl.My other layers last year I never heard before.

The grey ones if you stroke their backs they do that squat and wing thing I saw before, a sign of imminent laying will begin. Thats normal. But this isn`t what I expect to hear from their coop. They are in quarantine so by the time I open the door to their coop they all look stupidly at me as if to say `What you looking at`. we weren`t doing anything``I also wonder if it a breed thing with Americaunas.

Has anybody heard this vocal behavior before. Oh here they are as soon as I got home.

Last edited:
ive never had this kind before but i do have some polish that "talk" to me all the time. some are just more vocal then others and it is a growl, a warning sometimes but not always. pretty birds

Yes! My EEs do make a low, growling noise sometimes. I've never been able to figure out what it means, although I doubt it has anything to do with aggression. They're always peacefully socializing when I hear it, and it usually doesn't erupt in violence.

However, on occasion I've observed two hens facing off to settle a pecking order dispute. The hackles are raised and one or both will be making a soft growling noise right before one flings herself at the other.

They sound similar, but I don't know if they are expressing the same sentiment.

My silkie roo will growl and sometimes make dinosaur-like noises whenever he hears a loud noise. It's kind of funny. every time some thing falls on the ground or a person claps. he will also copy our laughter with his own chuckle.

The Roo's will make that sound...and it means "Alert! or Warning" One roo will do it, and the other roos will follow, making the same kind of noises. The girls will run for cover and the boys will stand by...watching. My boys do it if they spot a hawk, cat....sometimes a butterfly..LOL. Pay attention when they do this, because they are doing it for a reason, there is something that is alarming them.

My hens do this if they don't like something. I have one crazy hen (where's my stew pot?) who runs at me and gets really aggressive if I happen to be walking toward her head on. Keep in mind that my movements are always slow and I will go around a chicken rather than shoo her out of the way. Respect usually goes a long way toward happiness on both sides. However, this one will come at me and growl. Of course I just pick her up and pet her all over and there she is, growling and growling and growling. My daughter was afraid to touch her so I stroked miss henney's wattles while the petting was going on and controlled the head. Still growling.
idunno.gif

Our SS Hamburgs make that noise sometimes. It's funny to hear them, I think it's contagious. When one starts, the others will soon follow. It seems to be some sort of alert or alarm signal.

Back
Top Bottom