Chickens stay on roost all day

Tennessee Denise

Chirping
Jul 7, 2019
OK, so after a few days of below freezing weather we've had highs almost near 70. First 2 days all was as usual, but then on the 3rd day my chickens did not get off the roost all day so, no drinking or eating. The next day they were off roost and fine. Any idea what might have caused this behavior? Thanks.

Was there a lot of wind? We get some pretty windy days here and even if the temp isn't below freezing, my chickens might spend more time on the roost that day. Also, if they saw a predator swoop down, they may have gone inside to hide away. I've seen a hawk swoop down one time and my flock spent nearly the entire rest of the day under the Juniper trees (low branches, good hiding spot).

I don't know the answers but these were just some possibilities that came to mind. I wouldn't worry about it much unless they start to do it daily even when the weather is nice.

They could have been suffering from hypothermia. Symptoms are weakness lack of appetite, lethargy. Minor hypothermia chickens can recover from on their own, but acute hypothermia left untreated with electrolytes can result in death. Next time your chickens behave this way immediately following extreme cold, give them warm sugar water with electrolytes. One teaspoon sugar (brown if you have it) to one cup water with a pinch of salt and baking soda.

You might hang a thermometer in your coop to see how low the temperature gets. It also helps to feed extra calories just prior and during a serious freeze event.

OK, so after a few days of below freezing weather we've had highs almost near 70. First 2 days all was as usual, but then on the 3rd day my chickens did not get off the roost all day so, no drinking or eating. The next day they were off roost and fine. Any idea what might have caused this behavior? Thanks.
So you have had four days of warm weather since that cold snap. The first, second, and fourth days they were normal but on the third day they stayed on the roosts. That doesn't sound like hypothermia to me. If a strong cold wind is blowing mine will stay out of it, maybe in the coop but not on the roost. If one or more chickens are bullying mine, some might stay on the roost to avoid them but that is not a one day thing, that would be over several days. The only thing that makes any sense to me is a predator scare.

I've never had a hawk attack send mine to the roost, though they will go inside the coop. The only time mine have gone to the roost was after a dog attack, and they did not stay there all day even then. That does sound strange.

Was there a lot of wind? We get some pretty windy days here and even if the temp isn't below freezing, my chickens might spend more time on the roost that day. Also, if they saw a predator swoop down, they may have gone inside to hide away. I've seen a hawk swoop down one time and my flock spent nearly the entire rest of the day under the Juniper trees (low branches, good hiding spot).

I don't know the answers but these were just some possibilities that came to mind. I wouldn't worry about it much unless they start to do it daily even when the weather is nice.
Not much wind, but there were tons of chem trails that day and the wind was coming from a direction not normal, so perhaps that's it. They are fine though. Thanks for the reply.

They could have been suffering from hypothermia. Symptoms are weakness lack of appetite, lethargy. Minor hypothermia chickens can recover from on their own, but acute hypothermia left untreated with electrolytes can result in death. Next time your chickens behave this way immediately following extreme cold, give them warm sugar water with electrolytes. One teaspoon sugar (brown if you have it) to one cup water with a pinch of salt and baking soda.

You might hang a thermometer in your coop to see how low the temperature gets. It also helps to feed extra calories just prior and during a serious freeze event.
Thanks, I didn't know that about hyperthermia. I did put a raidiant heater in the coop the days if was very cold though and it never got below 12, so I think that was pretty good.

So you have had four days of warm weather since that cold snap. The first, second, and fourth days they were normal but on the third day they stayed on the roosts. That doesn't sound like hypothermia to me. If a strong cold wind is blowing mine will stay out of it, maybe in the coop but not on the roost. If one or more chickens are bullying mine, some might stay on the roost to avoid them but that is not a one day thing, that would be over several days. The only thing that makes any sense to me is a predator scare.

I've never had a hawk attack send mine to the roost, though they will go inside the coop. The only time mine have gone to the roost was after a dog attack, and they did not stay there all day even then. That does sound strange.
My girls are in a run that is covered and fenced due to the amount of predators we have so I'm not sure if maybe a critter got too close or not, but they are back to normal and that makes me VERY happy! Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom