Chickens Top Beak Fell Off. Help !

I have a pheasant who's top and most of her bottom beak got pecked off by another pheasant when she was young and she has done great! We feed her crumble feed since she cannot break down pellets. Hope she is ok!

32313592_1939293009415760_6004232505916391424_n.jpg

The entire top of his beak is gone. He still thinks the rest is there so he pecks at food like he isn't missing the other part of it. Ive seen him get some food and he can drink water and still seems happy so far.

They are often able to adapt with a little help. Feeding a mash of feed mixed with water so it's like thick oatmeal can make it easier for it to be picked/scooped up with the bottom of the beak. The mash will also help with hydration. Raising feeders and waterers up to shoulder height can also help, some are able to drink and eat better with deeper water and food dishes, so they can really get in there. I read one post where the hen learned to drink by dunking her whole head in the water dish. I would monitor the weight to make sure it's getting enough nutrition, fullness of feathers can hide weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom