chickens wont lay eggs

Hi Twin Beaks, I had one hen that finally laid her first egg in January, She was hatched in May so over 8 months old and I feared never getting an egg from her. Since she started laying she has been very good and I get one a day from her and my younger hens were hatched in August have started laying as well. New egg yesterday and I have 2 more hens yet to begin. Just give her time, I know it is hard to be patient but you will be so excited when the first egg finally arrives!

Hi everyone
Yes I am a very loving and patient person I was just worried being a first time owner. Last year I ended up with 3 roosters and had to get rid of them due to by laws. That has scared me in a very big way. But since everyone has giving me great advice I went out this morning and realised that she isn't even ready yet. Her comb is still pink and she is still very happy so again thank you for all the advice given. Now I can relax and just enjoy the girls for who they are Reguardless of production :). Eggs are for personal use anyway. I'm not selling or in a business I just can't afford buying eggs from the store anymore and just invested to the this instead. And my daughter's are loving this anyway expecially my 10 year old that wants to be a farmer :)

Twin Beaks, I am in the same situation as you.. first time owner and I was worried I would never get an egg. Now that I started getting them I go check for all the eggs throughout the day. Doesn't take much to amuse me.

Okay so today I went out side there was no eggs this morning. So I went back out late afternoon and there was 2 eggs. 1 outside the nest with a hole and the other inside the nest with a hole. What's going on? And should I worry?

well i think there is one problem and mabey they just lay eggs everyday the problem might be they are eating their eggs that's why maybe you get no eggs are they free ranged? if they are look for them outside. any of those could be the problem

Twin Beaks... congrats on getting two eggs. I have one hen that is having egg troubles as well. her first egg was broken and laying on the coop floor. Her second one was broken with a hole and laying in the same spot. Third egg was laying on the floor but not broken... I figured out the problem... she is laying eggs on the roosting pole ( 2x4) and it is rolling off and hitting the floor. sometimes it breaks and other times it doesn't. The other chickens kick it around and run over it so I have to try and get it before they break it. I think the hole in it was from curiosity, hopefully yours is the same way and you won't have an on going issue.

(figured out she was laying on the pole because I went in one morning and there was an egg perfectly balance on the pole) All the rest of my laying hens use a nesting box but I can't get this one trained to use it.

Okay so today I went out side there was no eggs this morning. So I went back out late afternoon and there was 2 eggs. 1 outside the nest with a hole and the other inside the nest with a hole. What's going on? And should I worry?
I'm guessing you've got a curious pullet. The egg outside of the nest was probably knocked out by an enthusiastic nester. A few eggs getting pecked doesn't mean that you will have egg eating problems, especially if there is a new layer around. Leaving a few dummy eggs in the nesting boxes all day long may help deter any more curious pecking.

I'm guessing you've got a curious pullet. The egg outside of the nest was probably knocked out by an enthusiastic nester. A few eggs getting pecked doesn't mean that you will have egg eating problems, especially if there is a new layer around. Leaving a few dummy eggs in the nesting boxes all day long may help deter any more curious pecking.
you might also put those dummy eggs in the nest box so the chickens will know were all the girls lay and maybe she will lay were they lay that what I did when they lay in the run good luck and congrats on the eggs

It may take up to a month before they get going again as long as they are healthy.

I don't know where you are or what condition your new hens are in but I would think 10 hens in an 8x8 barn would not be in the best of shape. I'm guessing red bottoms and feather loss if not worse. Given their new surroundings, new available nutrient, and the time of year, they may just decide to go into molt.

8X8 is 64 sq. ft. round down to 60 divide by ten birds and you get 6 feet per bird that is plenty of room they need a min. of 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 in the run, why do you think that it is not enough room?

Hello everyone
I'm having great success so far and it turned out that I do have a curious pullet. I don't have anymore broken eggs after that day :)

Back
Top Bottom