Chickens won't leave coop to forage

Roxie6

Hatching
May 17, 2016
I have 4 pullets in a small coop with a small enclosed run. I open the door every day to let them out into a larger run, but they rarely go! It's been hot and humid, but they tend to stay in the enclosed coop. There is plenty of shade in the big run, so I don't understand why they prefer to be in the dark coop. They eat and drink, but then return to the coop. They don't seem to be afraid of me. What's up?

I would shut them out of the coop for a little while and sprinkle some treats or seed on the ground, maybe a few greens too, and see if they don't start scratching in the dirt. How old are your birds?

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.
How old are your pullets and how long have you had them? Young birds and/or birds who have recently been moved will often feel uncomfortable venturing out. Have they ever come out of the coop at least into the small run or are they staying in the coop at all times? Sometimes the small setups have ramps that go into the coop that are not suitable from a chicken's perspective and this can lead them to be further unlikely to venture out.

I think my girls may be developing the same behaviour pattern!

I have three pullets, they have been with us just under a week (it will be a week this coming Sunday), I was fully expecting them to be reluctant about leaving the coop for the first couple of days, but now they seem to spending most of their time in it!

The feeder and water drinker our outside in the run so they have to leave the coop if they want any, I have tried treats - leafy greens, sweetcorn and a very small amount of grapes hidden in a pile of straw but they just don't seem that interested. I can hear them in the coop at the minute and it sounds like they are scratching and trying to forage inside
roll.png
I have considered shutting them out of the coop but am unsure if it would be cruel.. any advice on how to temp them outside would be very welcome!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom