Chickens won't stay in the coop?

2 many chickens

Crowing
Jan 14, 2017
I have 33 chickens, my newest addition being about 7 months old. For some reason, 6 of them and two roosters refuse to go in the coop at night. They would rather sleep on top of it. I have to climb on top of the coop every night and grab all of them to put them up. It's getting old. My birds don't all go up at the same time, so I can't get to them and lock them up because the other girls will be locked out. How can I stop this? Thanks all!

Also they have all already established a pecking order with my former birds, they've been around each other for a couple of months now. So I don't think they're afraid of my other hens.

It may take some shenanigans, but try blocking off where they are roosting now. Chickens get some strange notions, and the only way I have been able to make it work is block off their first choice, A week and they will be fine.

It's about the same size as a small shed, my husband and FIL built it. I'm no handy man lol. I don't know the dimensions of it.. smh lol. There are plenty of roosting poles too. Enough space to walk around and go underneath too to peck some grass. They're just weird. I have moved everything I can think of but they STILL get their fat butts up there.

Back
Top Bottom