Chickens won't stop squawking loudly for no apparent reason

My cornish did that the other day. It was weird. She had already laid her egg for the day, but the EE was in the nest. It was like she was cheering her on. She would go up the latter peak in and then go back out to the run. She did it until the EE came out and sure enough her egg was in there! MAybe she is a Doula Chicken?

My first chicken to lay was so loud and would do this squat walk thing that my husband told me he thought she was dying. Within a week of her near death she layed an egg.

Yes, that's the egg song, exactly. A roo will sound more like "awk awk AWK awk" or "awk awk AWk awk AWK."

Unless you have my roo, who not only crows but also does a dead on egg song right along with his girls! I think he's making up for my sweet BO who rarely makes a peep when she's done laying. I love that little girl so much... Smartest one of the bunch, quiet as a mouse, and lays every day like clockwork!​

My first chicken to lay was so loud and would do this squat walk thing that my husband told me he thought she was dying.

Yes! She kept doing the squat walk thing too! Maybe an egg is in the near future
smile.png

Oh, the Squat! That's a sure sign of laying to come, probably within a week or two.

It's a sign of submission to a rooster. Also a sign of submission if she does it for you, too.

When any of my hens squat for me, I give 'em a little skritch at the base of the neck, another at the base of the tailfeathers, then a little pat on the back. She'll stand back up and shake her feathers (don't ask what that's about, it ISN'T just to get rid of "bed feathers") before she walks away.

Some of 'em even do a little stamp of the feet whilst in the Squat position.

Quote:
Count your lucky stars. My BO, Cashew, doesn't know how to shut up! She is the head honcho and talks all the time when she thinks anybody is listening. And she hasn't even laid an egg yet but is squatting for me. I should have named her Chatty Cathy but didn't want to offend the Cathy's in the world.

My girls warning noise is more of trill and they all freeze. They were very loud just before they started laying and it finally calmed down. I was a little freaked as well.

Just wanted to update. All of the girls are laying now, except for the BO that is the squawker! She hasn't done it too much since, but is still very vocal. No egg though! I am rather perplexed. Seems like as soon as my first layer started, they all followed within a week or so, but the BO just isn't there yet. She is 24 weeks now. At what point should I be worried that she isn't laying?

Quote:
When she is two years old
wink.png
In reality 20 to 24 weeks is just an average. I have one pullet who didn't lay an egg until she was around 9 months old. It can take a while, and it is all up to mother nature. As long as she is eating, drinking and doing all other chicken stuff normal, no worries
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom