Chicks and heat lamps

For most brooder sizes a 250w heat lamp is far too much. Save on electricity and use a 100w or even 75w incandescent.

My tote is typical brooder size for small number of chicks, about 2X3 ft and 100 watts in metal reflective hood is more than enough heat.

I used a 250w because I keep them in the garage, its not uncommon for lows to hit single digits even in march/early april out there. If youre raising them in the summer or a southern state or indoors, I would definitely opt for something that doesn't spin your meter as fast.

For most brooder sizes a 250w heat lamp is far too much. Save on electricity and use a 100w or even 75w incandescent.

My tote is typical brooder size for small number of chicks, about 2X3 ft and 100 watts in metal reflective hood is more than enough heat.
+1. I also tried a neighbors 250W lamp and found it was way too warm, unless I elevated it very high. I then changed to a 100W red reptile bulb and found it to be much better. It sits right above a '2x3x2' cage lined with cardboard (and wood shavings/paper towels) inside the kitchen. I have adjustability to raise the lamp to lower the temp during the day. I will go to a 60 W bulb probably in the next week since I already have one.

Last edited:
Think I'll stick with my 250 watt heat lamp for now due to the cold temps outside and the brooder will be in an unheated 3 season room. This morning it was 36F in that room and 12F outside at 5:30am! Yikes! Worse tomorrow. No chicks yet though.

I did a little math for cost using the 250 watt bulb. My cost per kilowatt hour is .15 cents. So, 250w X 24hours=6000 watts/1000=6 kilowatts X .15= .90 cents a day. X 30 days= $27. Yea, maybe a bit pricey for electricity but it's only for a short period of time.

I do have some cheap solar panels with a battery and a 400 watt inverter I use to use for my camper and for running some lights in the house if we lose electricity but then I would have wires on my floor which can be tripping hazard and I don't want to drill holes in my wall to put a few wires through.
Maybe I'll have to revisit the solar thing but for now 'til the chicks get here this will have to do.

I have never used a thermometer, your chicks will tell you when they are too cold or too warm. If they are huddled under the heat lamp and not moving around the brooder they are cold, if they are as far from the heat lamp as possible, they are hot ( :) ) I've never had a problem just watching them to see what they need.

Last edited:
Diva, you might want to proof-read what you said....

I agree the chicks will tell you, but for someone just starting out, a thermometer can give a sense of security. That's not a bad thing.

Of course people should match their lamp with their conditions. If you are brooding in your house where it is always warm you can get by with a much lower wattage lamp than those of us that brood outside in below freezing temperatures. It was 14 degrees this morning. I'm using a 250 watt with a 100 watt back-up for the chicks in the brooder in my unheated coop. This summer I'd probably be using a 60 watt in that same brooder. A couple of years ago I turned the lamp off for good at 5 days for overnight.

X2 on the thermometer,i still use a thermometer even though i am perfectly aware of how chicks act if too hot/cold. For someone new to chicken keeping,a thermometer is a must.

My chicks are in an enclosed patio but there isn't any heat in there except for the heat lamp. I raise the heat lamp up during the day and lower a little bit at night for them. I also have 2/3 of the brooder covered with a towel at night for them. They aren't huddled together like they are freezing and they aren't too hot. They are doing great!

Ridgerunner,
Thanks for your post! I was looking for confirmation that we were doing right by our babies, and you made me a happy Chickie Mama! Our 5 week old babies have been in their grow-out coop for a week now. It's 4x12 feet for 16 babies, complete with a heat lamp hanging only over one end of the roosts. The lamp is only on when temps go below 55. By next week we should be able to turn it off completely. :)

Ok from what I have read, I believe I will be changing to a 100 watt bulb, but the one I have is a 100wayt halogen. Is that ok? My chicks vary by age between 2 weeks and 5 days. They all get along just fine and are all eating and drinking good.

Also, how big should a grow-out coop be? How should this be set up? I think out older three will have to go out first then followed by the others probably a week later. We still have a ways to go though. We are building another coop, this one bigger than the one our 4 hens are in now. We are also going to enlarge out run. But wanna make sure we do the grow out coop right. Because it will end up having 10 pullets and 2 Roos.

Back
Top Bottom