Chicks are 2 months old, but haven't grown. Need help!

Lunahlilacs

Hatching
Jan 18, 2018
So 2 months ago we had bought some chicks from a flea market. The vender said they were about 1-2 days old. We got them set up with chick crumble, electrolyte water, and newspaper bedding with a heat lamp. We constantly monitored the temperature with a thermometer. They were growing fine. After a month we put them outside, still away from our older chickens. They still had the heat lamp, we gave them regular water and bread. They always seem to be panicking. After 2 weeks of being outside we put them with the older chickens, but in their own cage. Since then they haven't grown. What should we do.

These chicks need more than bread and water .they need a balanced diet. a chick crumble. they also need grit in their diet to help them digest the bread. What breeds of chickens are these? if they are dual purpose breeds, I would put them on a meat bird formula. it can be fed from hatch through their whole life and will give them the extra nutrition they need to grow .
Karen

These chicks need more than bread and water .they need a balanced diet. a chick crumble. they also need grit in their diet to help them digest the bread. What breeds of chickens are these? if they are dual purpose breeds, I would put them on a meat bird formula. it can be fed from hatch through their whole life and will give them the extra nutrition they need to grow .
Karen

They are laying chicks, thanks for the help!

Welcome! Your chicks are getting fresh chick starter, right? I'd leave out the bread! Do they have grit available? With a big enough coop and run, and multiple feeders and waterers, they should be able to mingle with the older birds. Watch how things go at first. If you free range, that's when to let them out.
Feeding everyone an all-flock diet like Purina Flock Raiser will work best. Your babies shouldn't eat a layer feed.
Pictures will help here too. Might they be bantams?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom