Chicks arrived!

demonique

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Montana
Got my chicks yesterday (Tuesday) morning at 8am from the post office. Unfortunately, they had a very hard trip, and only 13 were alive (the other 16 dead and quite trampled) when I opened the box. I and a friend nursed three from near death back to life, though one, a very small one, still has me /quite/ worried, and one other chick that seemed to be doing all right died just a couple hours ago without much warning.

I'm worried the little gal won't make it, too, but I'm checking on them every hour and having to dip her beak in the water and give her a couple drinks. She doesn't have much strength and doesn't particularly want to do anything on her own.

12 chickies left, and the majority of them are active and looking good! I'm keeping an eye on a couple of the others, but except for the lil one, I think they should all make it.

I've got sugar in the water to give them a boost, and have mashed up some of the food with water to feed to the little gal, but she just doesn't seem to have any desire to either eat or drink on her own. *shakes head sadly*

Long day....

I'm sorry you had so many losses. Have you called the hatchery? Which hatchery did you order from? I'm trying to keep track for my own records. Anyway, the hatchery will replace your losses, or issue you a credit towards your next purchase from them, or sometimes they'll just refund you and send you a check if you don't want anymore chicks from them. Either way, be sure to call them right away. If you wait too long, they'll say its not their fault the chicks died! :mad: Good luck!

Lost three more today - the little one plus two more that were looking kind of sad. And another is looking like she might not make it. Down to 9, but may be down to 8 by morning.
sad.png

It's McMurray Hatchery. I have indeed called them, but they want me to call Thursday (48 hours after arrival) to let them know the final total of chicks that died. They'll give me a refund. Which is good - I won't be ordering more from them, I don't think.

Last edited:
I can't believe how many died! That's so devastating. I'm so sorry to hear that. You must have just been nursing them for the past few days. What breed are they?
I considered ordering from McMurray, but I ended up ordering mine from Meyer Hatchery instead (I just got a better vibe fromm them when I called). They warned me that some may die and even sent an extra along for the trip, but they have all survived. And they didn't have the 25 chick minimum, so I ordered 8 (and all 9, with the extra, are happy and healthy). I would highly recommend them if you're looking to add any more in the near future.

Sorry for your bad luck with your babies. What kind of chicks were they? Did it look like they were packed improperly, box damaged, etc...? I have heard good things - mostly - about McMurray Hatchery and that is where I got my group from (25 ordered - received on 4/3).

I think that they knew something was going to be up with one of my babies, so they included an extra one of that type. So, between the 'mystery chick', my actual order, and the extra chick, I received 27 chicks.

The one died two days (within 48 hours) of receiving them. But as I had my complete order, plus one mystery chick, I didn't call them on it. All the others have been strong and had no issues at all. I also received mine on a Tuesday, so they were in a box from Saturday until I picked them up early that Tuesday as well.

Anyway, maybe the Post Office has some responsibility for the deaths, like dropped box, not protecting them from cold, etc... They know what is in the box, they could/should be making an extra effort to not kill the bitty chicks, but if I had to lay odds on who wouldn't care about the contents, it would be people handling the chicks that could care less about them.

Anyway, really dorry about the situation - that had to be heart breaking to open a box to so many dead babies like that.
sad.png
I would follow up with McMurray though. When I had called them for some assitance on the baby that died (before it died) they seemed concerned and wanted to know of any further problems - I got the impression that they give the Postal Service a bit of 'heck' when they have such situations.

Well, good luck with the others. Keep everyone posted - I would like to know what McMurray will do/say about this as well as how your other babies do.

It was pretty devasating. Especially to have them keep dying, as well. I've talked the issue over with family and I may ask them to replace the order. See if I have better luck the second time around. I'm also considering ordering through the local feed store, and while prices are cheaper, there are more restrictions on the order in some ways. I'm still thinking it over, though - not sure which way I'll go yet. Either way, they'd be traveling some distance in the mail.

I am so sorry about you losing all of those little ones! I think I would have done a whole lot of crying. I am very nervous about getting my chicks next week now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about the chicks, poor lil babies. Shraeder i'm so glad you said that about meyer hatchery. I orderd from them for a april23 hatching, they sent me 2 very nice emails about my order( a couple breeds would have been on back order). A nice woman named charlotte sent me another message that all is go for may 7th.

McMurray is replacing all of my dead chicks at no cost, this time with shipping insurance through the post office. We'll see how it goes. They should be shipped out this weekend, and I hope I have a much better survival rate this time. Perhaps they'll be more careful in packing and shipping, or perhaps the weather will just turn nicer and they'll have an easier trip.

*crosses fingers*

Edited to say that I am definitely down to 8 chicks now. *sigh* But the others seem healthy and strong, though terrified of me! *laugh* That's what I get for tugging the paper towels out from under them today, I guess!

Last edited:
Sorry, demonique, to hear the sad news. Perhaps they got chilled on route. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you lose some chicks.

We ordered 25 chicks, McMurray shipped 26, and we lost one in transit.

If you know when they are arriving, don't forget to call your post office to notify them.

Our chicks from McMurray hatched on Saturday and arrived on Sunday. They were delivered to the main post office hub, not our local post office. One of the workers happened to be working that Sunday, and met us half way so we could pick up our chicks.

BUT if no one had been working at the main post office hub that day, our chicks would have sat there til they were sent to our local post office the next day.

So I always recommend you call not only your local post office, but also the main post office hub to notify them that live chicks are being shipped to you.

Good luck and keep us updated on your chick adventure.

regards,
keljonma

Back
Top Bottom