Chicks ate all the grit.

pdavis7484

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Jefferson County, East TN
I have 26 RIR 5 week old chicks. When I went out to the coop today I found that almost all of them had very, very full crops and I noticed that a full box parakeet grit was spilled out on the floor and had completly vanished. I didn't notice this until after I gave them their first ever treat. (Cherry cheese cake yogurt). Will that much grit hurt em? and what about the yogurt. That's o.k. right?.?

You should have chick feed and water and grit available to them 24/7. The chick feed should be their main source of nutrition. They won't eat the grit unless they need it. Are you feeding too many treats?

You shouldn't feed cherry cheesecake yogurt to your flock. If you want to feed them yogurt, go for the plain yogurt with active cultures. It's better for them. Remember, a treat is a small amount that they can finish quickly, say within 10 minutes.

Last edited:
pdavis...I have this problem too. Whenever I feed grit to our chicks, they eat it all! So, I solve this by mixing the grit with whatever treat I am feeding them (only once a week, and something good like hard boiled eggs) and that way they eat less of the grit. Also, unless you feed treats all the time and they are on a good chick starter, they dont NEED the grit.

PS...the cherry cheese cake yogurt wouldn't be something I would have offered them, but I doubt it will hurt them! Next time though, stick to plain, unflavored yogurt. Its better for them.
wink.png

O.K....No more cherry cheese cake yogurt.....Boy are they gonna be mad!...Plain yogurt only from now on...Promise..yuk!!! I have them on Co op chick starter 16 % and it's medicated. Do I need to put grit out for them all the time even with the chick starter already having grit included? They are only 5 weeks old. Grit is gonna get expensive if they eat it like they did tonight.LOL
28dayoldpeeps65.jpg
28dayoldpeeps8.jpg

Thanks 4h kids & mom. This was the first time that I have given them a treat. I was planning on just giving them a treat like the yogurt maybe once or twice a week. Other than that they only eat chick starter and the occasional red worm from the yard. keljonma, They have feed & water 24/7 but they still ate all the grit...What's up with that?
28dayoldpeeps4.jpg
This is their set up.

If you have them on chick starter, they dont need the grit because its already in there.
wink.png
BUT, they DO need the grit if you give them ANYTHING other than their feed. I just always mix the treat with the grit so I dont forget!
big_smile.png
Although, when I did give them yogurt, I just couldn't stomach mixing the two, so I put the NEXT to each other on the pie tin! lol
lol.png

Chicks in general, from what I've noticed, will eat ANYTHING they can wether they have plenty of food or not! And they eat it with GUSTO! I try to limit treats to once a week, and this week they got plain noodles that I'd chopped up for them. I no sooner set the tray down then ALL of them were on it and in it and it was completely GONE in like 20 seconds! They'd ranged all day, ate plenty of bugs and grass, and had a feeder FULL of feed, but they DEVOURED the noodles like they hadn't eaten in a week! lol
wink.png
Piggies!

They will get over the grit I have seen them get in a sand box and eat untill the look like they are going to pop.

As far as the yogurt the flavored stuff wont hurt them. When It comes to "treats" it is up to you when and the amount you feed them. Just keep chick starter and water of for them all the time and they will be fine if you wont to buy eatra grit just mix it in with the feed and they will get it as they eat.

I was raised on the old saying nothing goes to waste I start giveing fruit and veggie scraps at 2 weeks of age spread it out and give them some every day untill it is gone. It had been a long time scence i had chickens and had forgot what all the would eat that was free and that is about every thing:D Fruits, veggies, bread, butter milk, yogurt, all types of meat " I do not feed them back eggs or chicken". To give you a idea we will feed 4 - 8 heads of lettuce and up to 10 - 15 cans of can food a week corn peas etc. and your chickens go wild over it. Now I know you are thinking my god he spends a lot on his birds and i am sure some one is going to tell me that I am hurting them BUT before you all start.
They have free range on 20% chick feed all the time and most of the veggies are free just stop at the fruit stand and ask if they have any thing they are going to trash that you could pick up for your chickens and they will most of the time give it to ya some times they will save it for ya.

We used 16% feed from the co-op untill I found the 20% at tsc and we switched them over to the 20% it is a lot better looking feed and they eat it better.

If they were out under a hen chicken all day they would eat worse stuff then a little cream cheese yogurt

BTW you might wont to set the feeder and the water on the ground. The vac water you have the little tab will break off one day and it will crash to the ground
ep.gif
I dont hang a feeder untill they get up around 12 - 16 weeks and they have to bend over to eat. you might wont to give them a roost stick all the way across the pin they are at the age they will start to roost alot more but looks like your doing a great job they look fat and heathy
ya.gif

Thanks lively bee's. I had the feeder & water font on the ground until last week. I just got tired of having to clean out the waterer three times a week. I see what your talking about with the little tab. I think I will take it down just in case. Thanks again.

if you set it up on some scrap 2x4's lay'n flat that will help with the little in the water I have mine setting up on a bread flat that I got at the bread store it is about 3" high and it stays real clean. Any time glad I could help

When I bought our bigger feeder and waterer, I opted for the plastic ones that I could hang because of that very reason. The plastic ones have sturdy hanging handles, no tabs. Plus, they won't rust.

And to lively....I think your chickens are incredibly spoiled and if I die I'd like to come back as one of them, ok? lol
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom