Chicks cant reach waterer

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
My Cochin bantam hatched 10 chicks yesterday and i noticed they are to small to reach the automatic waterer so i've dug a hole in the ground and placed a dog bowl in it then filled in the area around the bowl so its even with the ground the problem is the mother doesn't know where the water is and if i try to show her the chicks don't follow as i'm hold her so she panics and tries to run back to them and doesn't pay any attention to me dipping her beak in the water. Is there anyway i can fix this?

can you lower the automatic waterer, or place some blocks put boards the chicks can jump up on? I agree place multiple waterer out including 1 near the main waterer. And maybe one near their nest too.

As for taking mama to another waterer? Sometimes i could get the chicks to follow if I held the mama in place for a moment close to the ground, but in most cases it's easier to get mama to follow you with a chick then the chicks to follow you with mama.

If your buried dog bowl with water in it is as my mind sees it, you have a perfect set up to drown those chicks. Can you find a shallow bowl in your kitchen? Then, fill with water, and put some stones in it so the chicks can't get in it and drown.

i already had put stones some their water to stop them drowning

If you remove the automatic waterer for a day or so, making the hen have to drink out of the dog bowl, then the chicks will learn. Honestly, I've raised chicks with that set-up without burying the dog-bowl--they happily jumped the three or four inches to perch on the rubber rim of the bowl, then hopped onto the brick in the center.

If you remove the automatic waterer for a day or so, making the hen have to drink out of the dog bowl, then the chicks will learn. Honestly, I've raised chicks with that set-up without burying the dog-bowl--they happily jumped the three or four inches to perch on the rubber rim of the bowl, then hopped onto the brick in the center.
Yeah mine just figured out where/what the waterer is by jumping in it to try to get to their mom

Everyone i'm sorry for wasting your time

Yeah mine just figured out where/what the waterer is by jumping in it to try to get to their mom

Everyone i'm sorry for wasting your time
Never a waste, sometimes even even a question as this can not only help you be better prepared for next time, but can also help another that isn't sure what to do.

A lot a BYC posts pop up on google search, you have no idea who could be asking the same question tomorrow

I agree here. Remove the automatic waterer, and they will find the bowl(s)

www.hmautocenter.com

Back
Top Bottom