Chicks Dying

Do you have multiple feed and water stations?
If not I would at least one of each. It's possible the lowest ones in pecking order are being kept away from the food and water.
Are you still having a problem with piling?
How big is the run?

Run is about the same size. This was not the coop I planned on putting them in. This is what I use for breeding. Unfortunately the coop I had set up for them share a wire fence with my other 2 coops. The vet suggested I move them as far away as possible since they were sick and try to keep them away from the rest of my flock.

I had not thought about pecking order. With everything going on I have to be honest I have been in a panic. I only have one feed and 1 water but I can add one more of each to opposite ends of the coop and run.

They do not seem to be panicked anymore or piling. But they always seem hungry. Not like my older birds begging for treats but they act like they are starving even though there is always food left for them.

Hi there. you can buy the Probios at purelypoultry.com. With shipping my checkout usually makes it around 20 dollars but it lasts a very long time. PLEASE read about the benifits by going online to purely poultry .com and in the search type Probios. Read about the benifits it can give your birds then let me know what YOU think. :)

I would definitely add another feeder and water station. Fill the feeders and let them have access to food all day.
To be honest, one of your problems could be overcrowding. Can you add some perches outside where they have places to get away from each other a bit or a couple bales of hay to climb on.
I understand you wanting to keep them separated from your other flock, but is there any way to give them any more room?
Run space is only about 1.6sq ft per bird and coop space is about the same. With large fowl IMO they need a bit more breathing room.
I would also check to make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Just my opinion
smile.png

Hi there. you can buy the Probios at purelypoultry.com. With shipping my checkout usually makes it around 20 dollars but it lasts a very long time. PLEASE read about the benifits by going online to purely poultry .com and in the search type Probios. Read about the benifits it can give your birds then let me know what YOU think. :)

I took a look and l think it sounds like a good idea. Do you just add to water?

I would definitely add another feeder and water station. Fill the feeders and let them have access to food all day.
To be honest, one of your problems could be overcrowding.  Can you add some perches outside where they have places to get away from each other a bit or a couple bales of hay to climb on.
I understand you wanting to keep them separated from your other flock, but is there any way to give them any more room?
Run space is only about 1.6sq ft per bird and coop space is about the same. With large fowl IMO they need a bit more breathing room.
I would also check to make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the coop.

Just my opinion:)

I agree there is not as much space as I had planned on. I can and will add perches outside. I will also add another food and water. My husband started building another coop about the same size today as a temporary hold to put half of them in. But will take some time.

Yep just add to the water. I've used it for awhile now and I love it! Their are different Probios for different animals so make sure you get it from purely poultry.com or another poultry store because this is poultry probios. in fact, I just got another jar for myself because I have the chicks coming. You can give it in times of stress as well and it is great. I give mine daily. I especially like it for the chicks because it keeps away pasty butt! :)

Thanks I you so much. Just ordered it.

Also just talked over with my husband. He was going to build a third separate coop in the spring but said he will start on it this week instead. I just hope all this is not too late. I just went out and put out 2 additional feeders and a water. That's all I had on hand right now. Also added an out door perch which was in there for all of 30sec before someone was on it.

Thank you everyone.

DAYS WITHOUT A DEATH: 2
Maybe it is my imagination, maybe it is wishful thinking,... I hope it is neither, but all of my babies actually look GOOD today. Their crops are nice and full, they seemed relaxed, and poop is going from running to soldish. I am really hoping that is was coccidosis that caused all of these issues. I do have to say though that I have been going out about every 2-3 hours to go and check on them (not sure what I think I am going to do if I find another near death,... not like I am going to be able to change anything), but I am so nervous every time I open the coop door. Been praying a little prayer to St. Francis to watch over my babies... I hope it is working.

I'm so glad to hear your little ones are better! Praise God! I prayed for you ! I know that feeling your talking about. I still get that feeling when I look in on my girls! I think it's normal after such shock of loosing so many . we both have had that experience. my hope is now you can just enjoy your babies and not have to worry any more!! please keep me posted! I'm so glad to her good news!!! YAY!! :)

Back
Top Bottom