Chicks dying

Thanks cafarmgirl. I just got some Corid and they now have it their water. 2 of them are drinking on their own the 3rd I had to use a syringe and I gave it all it would take. I really hope it isn't too late.

How do chicks get this if they haven't been around any other chicks or chickens since I bought them 2 weeks ago?

Chicks can come to you complete with cocci oocytes already in their system. Brooders are perfect places for it too, nice and warm. All it takes is a nice poop in the water here or there, (something chicks are very good at!) plus they are pecking and scratching around in their bedding all day long. It happens.

Hopefully your little one does ok, they usually perk up pretty quick, within a day or so. Just keep carefully giving her the medicated water every couple hours this first day. Just a little at a time is fine as long as she's getting some.

Can you mix probiotics and/or electrolytes along with the Duramycin-10?
Yes you can mix a pro-biotic with an anti-biotic. The two will in effect cancel each other out, and for sure there will be no benefit from the pro-biotic and likely non from the anti-biotic either. It is your money and your chickens, spend the first like you see best. Treat the latter like they belong to you.

Thanks chickengeorgeto, I've changed their meds to Corid only. I only gave them Duramycin-10 yesterday and it didn't help much. I'm no vet but with the help of the good people on this site I'm pretty sure they have cocci and am now treating them for that. The sickest one seems to be doing some better. It has gotten of the floor of the brooder and is now perched on the roost. I'm still feeding it with a syringe but it has a little more pep than before. Thank you all for the information.

Thanks chickengeorgeto, I've changed their meds to Corid only. I only gave them Duramycin-10 yesterday and it didn't help much. I'm no vet but with the help of the good people on this site I'm pretty sure they have cocci and am now treating them for that. The sickest one seems to be doing some better. It has gotten of the floor of the brooder and is now perched on the roost. I'm still feeding it with a syringe but it has a little more pep than before. Thank you all for the information.

I guess this is why they sell medicated chick starter - they probably figure put the antibiotic in the feed to combat cocci right off the bat. I bought some to have on-hand just in case of an outbreak of the stuff. Also, apple cider vinegar (the unpasteurized, natural stuff like Bragg's) acts as a natural antibiotic in most species, so I've been using that in their water and mixing the probiotic into their feed. Haven't had any issues so far, and they're 5 weeks old tomorrow. I hope your babies get well soon!

Lost the weakest one last night. Only 2 left out of 6. These 2 were the biggest of the bunch and seemingly doing better. Today they have slept most of the afternoon on the brooder floor and one is fairly more sluggish. Both have been eating (starter food) and drinking water mixed with corrid only. This is day 4 on corrid medicated water (changed daily if not twice daily). I noticed a couple of green bile poops and I don't know if either will make it. I really thought they would be doing much better by now.

Back
Top Bottom