Chicks eating alot of food

SteveMadonnaJ

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
This Saturday we will have our Rhode Island Red pullets for a week (they are approximately 2 wks old). They have nearly gone through a 5 pd bag or Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower food. Is this normal? They are growing and prospering very well.

I bet a lot of it is getting beaked out of the feeder and you need to raise it a little higher so they can't waste as much. The chick starter is generally pretty flaky/light stuff and they do like to throw it about as they scratch and do their lil chick things.

I bet a lot of it is getting beaked out of the feeder and you need to raise it a little higher so they can't waste as much. The chick starter is generally pretty flaky/light stuff and they do like to throw it about as they scratch and do their lil chick things.

It is raised, and very little is wasted

You never mentioned how many you had...

Here are the average weekly feed consumption levels for full sized laying pullet chicks, from week 1 to week 9

Edit scrap that chart, it was for broilers...

For layers you can expect each one to eat about 10 lbs of food in the first 10 weeks...

So with 8 chickens you are looking at about 80 lbs of food in the first 10 weeks, this of course is proportional to their size, less now more later...

***Edit I see you posted 8 chicks, you should expect to have fed them about 5 lbs of feed in the fist two weeks...

Last edited:
It is normal, they eat a lot, I agree the feed stores don't say anything, I was sent home with 3lbs. My next bag was 40 or 50. $$$$

This Saturday we will have our Rhode Island Red pullets for a week (they are approximately 2 wks old). They have nearly gone through a 5 pd bag or Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower food. Is this normal? They are growing and prospering very well.

We started 6 Welsummers, beginning the end of March. They've gone through most of a 20 lb bag of chick starter, and I picked up another bag yesterday after work.

They are happy healthy birds, and they eat their food with relish. Now that they are outside, I suspect that I'll see a reduction in their feed consumption. They are very good foragers.

Back
Top Bottom