Chicks eyes have clear covering over half of each eye

hennypenney

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Galt, CA
I have a 6 week old cockerel and I was looking at his eyes and noticed one eye has a lateral clear ( looks like contact lense) looking film halfway covering eye and other eye horizontally half of a clear covering. I have to look close to see but wondering if he's partially blind?

Last edited:
Hi @hennypenney
Can you post some photos?

Is the covering there all the time, or is it possible what you see is the "third eye lid" or Nictitating Membrane that chickens have?
There's a pretty good photo of that here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/05/chicken-anatomy-nictitating-membrane.html
Yes I will try to get photos. He must be able to see some. He does startle easy. Always been the runt. Loner. He loves to be held and doesn't want me to put him down. Thank you. I will look at post to see if it's the same. I tried looking it up, but only saw pictures where it looked filmy. This is clear, looks like a contact would if it was under part of your eyelid.
x2 I'm guessing nictitating membrane too unless somehow there is an eye infection (hence the photo).

LofMc
so I'm thinking that's what it is. His is always half covering like half moon but one eye it's covering across. Like coming down to half of his eye. Maybe I'm examining him too much. Haha I will get a picture if I can.

Yes, please do get some photos - you could be seeing something entirely different than we imagine:)

Make sure he is eating well. Vitamins A and E are for eye health. Poultry Nutri-Drench contains both, so you may want provide some vitamin water for him a couple of days a week - you can let the other chicks have the vitamin water too - it won't hurt them.

Yes, please do get some photos - you could be seeing something entirely different than we imagine:)

Make sure he is eating well. Vitamins A and E are for eye health. Poultry Nutri-Drench contains both, so you may want provide some vitamin water for him a couple of days a week - you can let the other chicks have the vitamin water too - it won't hurt them.

I posted pictures. Hope I did it correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom