Chicks eyes have clear covering over half of each eye

@Eggcessive is good with eyes.

I'm sorry, that doesn't look like the Nictitating Membrane to me. The eye does look cloudy - it could be a genetic defect or from vitamin A and E deficiency, trauma or disease.

I'm not sure if it's something that can be fixed, but you can give poultry vitamins to see if that makes any difference. He may be partially blind. If you see any changes in the eye color or shape, then you may be dealing with Marek's.

He may need some extra care to be able to adjust as he grows up - a lot of people do keep chickens that are blind or partially blind, but they mainly keep them confined to a run and coop - sometimes they may need to be housed separately or have a friend with them. If they have an environment that is the same - they can eventually learn to navigate fairly well. He may be picked on as the chicks get older, so keep watch for that. Without knowing the cause of the eye condition, it would be best not to breed him.

Hopefully others will chime in, they may have a better idea than I do.

I'm sorry, that doesn't look like the Nictitating Membrane to me. The eye does look cloudy - it could be a genetic defect or from vitamin A and E deficiency, trauma or disease.

I'm not sure if it's something that can be fixed, but you can give poultry vitamins to see if that makes any difference. He may be partially blind. If you see any changes in the eye color or shape, then you may be dealing with Marek's.

He may need some extra care to be able to adjust as he grows up - a lot of people do keep chickens that are blind or partially blind, but they mainly keep them confined to a run and coop - sometimes they may need to be housed separately or have a friend with them. If they have an environment that is the same - they can eventually learn to navigate fairly well. He may be picked on as the chicks get older, so keep watch for that. Without knowing the cause of the eye condition, it would be best not to breed him.

IMG_0891.JPG

thank you. I'm thinking he may be partially blind also. He knows where food and water is and as a chick knew where mom was. I've been keeping a close watch on him. Hoping not mareks.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 2
I would just monitor him to make sure he is getting food/water. Check to make sure he is going to bed with a full crop a couple of times a week - this is a good habit to form for all your chickens if you have time.

If he is the only cockerel, then he may do ok by following the girls around. If there are other boys, then having a backup plan for separation would most likely be in order.

He's not the only cockerel unfortunately, but I will need to figure out a good place for him. Thank you. He tends to be a loner.

Being a loner, is more than likely due to the eye problem. He may do well by himself in a small coop/pen is you have one. Depending on how much he can see and as he develops (sexually) you may be able to house another hen or two with him for company - a lot depends on your goals/if he is a pet, etc.

Being a loner, is more than likely due to the eye problem. He may do well by himself in a small coop/pen is you have one. Depending on how much he can see and as he develops (sexually) you may be able to house another hen or two with him for company - a lot depends on your goals/if he is a pet, etc.
Yes I'm not sure yet. Wants to be held all the time. Hard one. Make a great child's pet.

I'm wondering if it is ocular Mareks as it states pupils irregular shape. They do look that way.
In that case eventually he would become totally

Back
Top Bottom