Chicks first time outside!

Carlyb22

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
South Carolina USA
The chicks had a blast going outside for the first time today! They were only out for 10 minutes but loved pecking the grass and trying chick grit for the first time. And one of my Polish hens were very interested in them😂

They are about a week and a half old. I got them from tractor supply april 7th and assume they were 2-3 days old.
7EAA5A41-7FC5-4470-B9D5-A0F4C82A52A5.jpeg
434A4A04-7F94-44CC-B4DC-9F84D06E6022.jpeg

Put out something that can provide some deep shade and they can stay out longer even if it's hot out. Like a cardboard box open on both ends and weighed down with a brick would be fine.
They can walk right through the bars of the pen right now so I’m having to sit with them and herd them😅 I have a bigger shaded pen for them to spend longer outside I’m just waiting until they are a bit bigger and I’m sure they can’t squeeze their way out and get lost!

Thank you! I am a new chicken mamma and my babies are two weeks old and I want to start taking them out when the weather gets nicer for field trips and I need something to contain them and I'd like to be able to get in with them. Also I have to figure out how to transport them... they are in an upstairs room in my house 😆
I carry mine in a cardboard box from the house to the yard😅 It works well for now!! Soon they will be too big for the box though! Hopefully in a couple weeks though they will be outside full time

What are you using as their little enclosure? They're adorable!
It’s just a wire dog pen! I used this the first few times when I was out there with them so the older chickens can see them but not interact! Now they are in an actual run still separated from the older hens! But the dog pen worked really well for those first few times out!

Attachments

• 1A90FBDB-4A0A-4CA4-AACB-852A01EF694F.jpeg
    1A90FBDB-4A0A-4CA4-AACB-852A01EF694F.jpeg
    849 KB · Views: 3
Also I have to figure out how to transport them
I used to use a shoebox, one of the ones where the lip flaps down. Only needs to contain them long enough to run them to wherever.
I want mine to go out in a couple of weeks too but the coop and run are not built yet! 😩
Better hop to it, they grow fast.

Back
Top Bottom