Chicks got wet and chilled-Help

meowsandy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Last night our waterer somehow leaked and soaked the shavings in our brooder. It also happened to be unusually cold last night. This morning we found we had lost 4 chicks. Three more don't look good and I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to help them. So far I've brought them inside and set them next to a heater in a small box. I don't want to overheat them, but I want to do everythign I can to save these guys. Any suggestions???

Oh, and the chicks that got wet were 15 cornish rock and 2 Buff Orpington. The Orpington's seem fine, the Rock's are the ones that seem to be suffering. And they are 8-9 days old. Our 3 week old Wyndotte's were in a different brooder and are doing fine,

Also, because they got wet, and I'm assuming were climbing on each other to try and get to a dry spot, their down is now rather crusty(looks wet, but is just crusty), so that certainly isn't helping to warm them. Can we give them a warm bath and blow dry?

Last night our waterer somehow leaked and soaked the shavings in our brooder. It also happened to be unusually cold last night. This morning we found we had lost 4 chicks. Three more don't look good and I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to help them. So far I've brought them inside and set them next to a heater in a small box. I don't want to overheat them, but I want to do everythign I can to save these guys. Any suggestions???

Oh, and the chicks that got wet were 15 cornish rock and 2 Buff Orpington. The Orpington's seem fine, the Rock's are the ones that seem to be suffering. And they are 8-9 days old. Our 3 week old Wyndotte's were in a different brooder and are doing fine,

Also, because they got wet, and I'm assuming were climbing on each other to try and get to a dry spot, their down is now rather crusty(looks wet, but is just crusty), so that certainly isn't helping to warm them. Can we give them a warm bath and blow dry?
Yes, you can blow dry them, but I would wrap them up in a towel and give them some Vitamins to pep them up. If you have some polyvisol give them a couple of drops. You don't want to warm them to fast, Within an hour they should start being more activite if they are not, then you need to boost up there energy a little.. At nine days old, they shouldn't have been outside in the first place?
What did you provide for them while they were outside? besides shavings? And certain Pine shavings can be toxic for chickens. Perhaps, you have more going on then them just being cold? Can they walk or anything?

Thanks for the reply. The chicks were in our insulated barn with heat lamps, not outside. It stays pretty warm in there as the horses create alot of heat. And then we use heat lamps and monitor the temps as well. I've raised them this way for the past three years with no problems. Even much earlier in the year. The problem this time was the leaking water, which resulted in soaking wet bedding.

I did not know that about the Pine Shavings. I get ours from Tractor Supply, but not the ones marketed specifically for chickens. We've used this kind for three years for horses and chickens, with no problems, but I know they just got a new supplier as a plant burned down. What would you suggest as an alternative? Should I worry about my adult chickens with these pine shavings?

They don't seem to have trouble walking, but their feet are a little raw. I assumed it was from standing on wet bedding for all that time.

There is nothing wrong with having your chickens in your barn. Chickens have been having babies for kind of a long time before people start brooding them in their houses. Many chickeners don't brood in their houses. I am sure your pine shavings are fine, too.

I hope your babies come around!

Thanks for the reply.  The chicks were in our insulated barn with heat lamps, not outside.  It stays pretty warm in there as the horses create alot of heat.   And then we use heat lamps and monitor the temps as well.    I've raised them this way for the past three years with no problems.  Even much earlier in the year.  The problem this time was the leaking water, which resulted in soaking wet bedding. 

I did not know that about the Pine Shavings.  I get ours from Tractor Supply, but not the ones marketed specifically for chickens.  We've used this kind for three years for horses and chickens, with no problems, but I know they just got a new supplier as a plant burned down.  What would you suggest as an alternative?  Should I worry about my adult chickens with these pine shavings?

They don't seem to have trouble walking, but their feet are a little raw.  I assumed it was from standing on wet bedding for all that time. 

Ok I thought you said you just put them outside, didn't realize you went to the extreme of heating lamps etc. good deal. Tell me are there symptoms right now, are they able to eat? Can they drink? If they are not eating try this wet there food and warm it up. OMG it's like giving candy to a baby, they should go crazy for it..

I use fine pine for my babies and it get at tractor supply as well. If you give me more information on there symptoms perhaps we can find a solution..

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with having your chickens in your barn.  Chickens have been having babies for kind of a long time before people start brooding them in their houses.  Many chickeners don't brood in their houses.  I am sure your pine shavings are fine, too.

I hope your babies come around!

Yes you can have chickens outside BUT not without a mommy or without some sort of heat at that age. But I don't recall that being clarified at first. Now that it has it's understandable..

But I can tell you even with zero below temps and there homes being soaked, heating lamps won't do any good.

heating lamps won't do any good unless you have more then one with low temps like my winter has, I know I have lost over 25 chickens with this horrible extreme weather and they all have two to three heating lamps...

I just don't recall her saying they were in a barn, but I'm Glad she clarified that as well...

Why must you back track everything I say?? I'm trying to help her find a solution the only way to do that is by ASKING QUESTIONS!!!!

Yes, you can blow dry them, but I would wrap them up in a towel and give them some Vitamins to pep them up.  If you have some polyvisol give them a couple of drops.  You don't want to warm them to fast,  Within an hour they should start being more activite if they are not, then you need to boost up there energy a little.. At nine days old, they shouldn't have been outside in the first place?
What did you provide for them while they were outside? besides shavings?  And certain Pine shavings can be toxic for chickens.  Perhaps, you have more going on then them just being cold?  Can they walk or anything?

Pine shavings are fine for chickens, CEDAR shavings are the ones to avoid. The natural oils and dust in the shavings give the chicks respiratory problems and can suffocate the little ones. The oils in the shavings cause irritations to feet and skin. I didn't know this when I first got chicks last year, they had blisters on the bottoms of feet and open mouth breathing. They were on the cedar for 2 days after switching to pine everyone was fine. I wanted the cedar scent, didn't know I could kill them.

Pine shavings are fine for chickens, CEDAR shavings are the ones to avoid. The natural oils and dust in the shavings give the chicks respiratory problems and can suffocate the little ones. The oils in the shavings cause irritations to feet and skin. I didn't know this when I first got chicks last year, they had blisters on the bottoms of feet and open mouth breathing. They were on the cedar for 2 days after switching to pine everyone was fine. I wanted the cedar scent, didn't know I could kill them.

Actually Pine can cause allergies and if inhaled can cause upper respiratory problems. It's just a precaution... Not saying it happens to all chickens all the time but to some more sensitive ones, it can.

I have used pine for my flock, however, I have had my issues with it but only with certain birds, some are fine and some I have had to place into my hospital room for recover...

Well, they all survived. We brought six in and turned a heater on high in a bathroom and brought the temps up. Then we cleaned them up and gave them a blow dry. After they were warmed up again we put them with the others again and everyone is doing well now. Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

So I did not have any Polyvisol on hand, but plan to get some for future emergencies. I did pick them up some electrolites. Is there anything else I shoudl have on hand for chicken emergencies?

And Lacrystol, what do you use as bedding for your chickens? Do you use somethign different for chicks?

Well, they all survived.  We brought six in and turned a heater on high in a bathroom and brought the temps up.  Then we cleaned them up and gave them a blow dry.  After they were warmed up again we put them with the others again and everyone is doing well now.  Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. 

So I did not have any Polyvisol on hand, but plan to get some for future emergencies.  I did pick them up some electrolites.  Is there anything else I shoudl have on hand for chicken emergencies?

And Lacrystol, what do you use as bedding for your chickens?  Do you use somethign different for chicks?

For my chicks, yes I use and I LOVE IT, puppy pads, works great for traction and working the leg muscles, and it excellent for messy, messy baby ducks, once they get old and can go outside then I use the pine for the coops... Unless someone has an issue then he or she gets out into a separate coop without Pine...

Back
Top Bottom