Chicks Health

FoghornTim

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Grove City Ohio
I am a bit more concerned for baby chicks health than I have in the past. I have gotten chicks from Rural King without knowing if they are vaccinated before coming to the stores? I recently reached out to TSC and they get from a hatchery called Hoover Hatchery. The chicks in their stores are not vaccinated. Not sure if I am to be very concerned. I raised many a hen in the past who hatched out her own eggs and those chicks turned out ok and grew well.

So the question to the BYC family, to vaccinate or not? I think as long you keep them in healthy conditions and healthy food options as they grow there should be little issues. Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

There are two vaccine that are the usually options:
The coccidiosis vaccine and the mereks vaccine.
The coccidiosis vaccine just helps prevent certain strains of coccidia from taken over a chicks gi and causing internal bleeding and scarring. Coccidiosis is usually easy to prevent and treat without it. Feeding medicated feed cancels out this vaccine.
The mereks vaccine doesn't prevent the birds from getting mareks, it just reduces the chances of the deadly tumors that are often associated with the disease to grow that cause neurological issues.
A vaccinated bird can still contract mereks but never show it and pass it to an unvaccinated bird, who does come down with the symptoms and often dies.

There are two vaccine that are the usually options:
The coccidiosis vaccine and the mereks vaccine.
The coccidiosis vaccine just helps prevent certain strains of coccidia from taken over a chicks gi and causing internal bleeding and scarring. Coccidiosis is usually easy to prevent and treat without it. Feeding medicated feed cancels out this vaccine.
The mereks vaccine doesn't prevent the birds from getting mareks, it just reduces the chances of the deadly tumors that are often associated with the disease to grow that cause neurological issues.
A vaccinated bird can still contract mereks but never show it and pass it to an unvaccinated bird, who does come down with the symptoms and often dies.
appreciate the details :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom