Chicks in South Carolina

wannabfarmgirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
I'm new to the chicken world, and after much research - and browsing of BYC, among others, I took the plunge and ordered my chicks. They are scheduled to arrive Feb 26 or 27.

The catch is, I only wanted 8 pullets (no "extra packing" AKA male chicks). However, when I ask about the safety of the chicks, I was told the it would be best to order at least 15, and hopefully they will all arrive safe and sound.

I ordered from Ideal poultry - 5 white leghorns, 5 americaunas, and 5 rhode island red (2 varieties). I want to keep 3 WL, 3 Americanuas, and 2 RR...(or vice versus forthe Am and RR) but if they all make it safely (oh, I hope, I hope!) I will have some extras that I want to find homes for. No charge...I just don't need so many, and wanted to be sure they all arrived safely!

Sidenote - I have NO IDEA how to tell which chick is which...

I'm in mid South Carolina (between Columbia and Newberry).

Just let me know if you are interested...

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I'm in Beaufort, I would take them if I wasn't so far.

You will love it on this forum!

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
from Hollywood, SC!

I don't need chicks at all, but wanted to say hi. If you let the chicks grow until you can identify them, you can probably sell them on Craig's List- That's how I found my EE roo.

Im in easley... i might be interested in one of each type. i am due for 37 chicks on the 23rd but i have two types that i had to order straight run. so i need to make sure i do not end up with too many males... so if you can wait about five weeks after they get here we should be able to decipher which is which...does that sound like a possible deal to you????

I live in Oconee, im looking for some chickens myself.

FYI you can look at the length of the wing feathers to tell the sex, i forget which one it is but either the male or the female will have one pair shorter than the others.

I live in Florence a little over a hour from Columbia and I visit Columbia at least once a month. When you decide what you want to keep and what needs a new home I will take them anytime. I know several people in my area that are always willing to help raise backyard birds. Email me for info and we can get you taken care of.

You will love your new hobby. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom