Chicks keep dying of coccidiosis despite treatment

Do you mind if I ask where you got your chicks from?
I've heard that alot of hatcheries are having problems with their chicks dying. Meyer especially. I have a friend who ordered over 100 meat birds from them and by the next day she was down to 45. She said they just kept dropping. I ordered 50 from there and over 10 of them died within the first 2 weeks.

They’re hatched from my stock on my property. We’ve had an extraordinarily wet winter and Spring this year, so coccidiosis is BAD.
I’m currently battling it currently too from eggs I’ve hatched. It’s been extremely wet this spring. I’ve treated them twice already with toltrazuril and 2 days after their last dose they start back. I suspect mine have enteritis currently so they are on their second day of sulfa.

They’re hatched from my stock on my property. We’ve had an extraordinarily wet winter and Spring this year, so coccidiosis is BAD.
Wow. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I was just on another thread that was about this exact same issue, I wanted to be sure it wasn't tied to a hatchery or anything.

Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. For extra drench mix 1.5 tsp in 2 tsp of water, and give each bird 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day. Make sure the birds are drinking the treated water, and clean up any poops. Keeping their bedding dry, stirred, and adding fresh pine shavings as needed helps. Warm weather plus wet or damp conditions will increase chances of coccidiosis. If the Corid does not seem to be helping with them getting enough, then contact your vet for a sulfa antibiotic (SMZ TMP or Albon.)
Can’t take them to any vet in my area even if I could afford to.

Did you do the corid drench yet? It sounds like you have powder. I think this description is for liquid, let me know if you want to try it, we'll figure it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25898436/
I’m going to do it tomorrow! I gave them all a pretty generous dose of Corid and also treated them with oregano essential oil. They looked a little better this evening.

Back
Top Bottom