Chicks kicking litter into waterer

BradAdams

Hatching
Feb 16, 2016
My two week old chicks are naturally "scratching" the wood shavings on the floor of their brooder . . . when they kick this into the waterer, it soaks up the water and the container is dry earlier than normal. (plus I've read that damp/wet litter is not good for new chicks). I placed it on a piece of 2x4, but they still somehow manage to get the chips in there.
I have seen newspapers on the bottoms of some brooders, but also read that this was a bad idea . . .
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
BA

We raised our waterer up by placing it on 3 small upside down plates. This also created a buffer of sorts so they don't kick up as many shavings into the water. They still climb on the plates and can get to water but since the shaving aren't right next to it, it's not as easy to kick them into it.

From what I've read, cleaning the waterer regularly is just part of the process. We clean it at least twice a day if not more.

welcome-byc.gif

Raise the waterer up higher. Either put it high enough it's at the level of their backs, or make a little platform of the 2x4s for them to jump on and drink, and make the waterer much higher.

My two week old chicks are naturally "scratching" the wood shavings on the floor of their brooder . . . when they kick this into the waterer, it soaks up the water and the container is dry earlier than normal. (plus I've read that damp/wet litter is not good for new chicks). I placed it on a piece of 2x4, but they still somehow manage to get the chips in there.
I have seen newspapers on the bottoms of some brooders, but also read that this was a bad idea . . .
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
BA
We had this problem too. We made a stand for the waterer to stay on. They didn't knock it down either. This helped immensley!

This is actually a great idea . . .do you think they will try to roost if I hang the water bottle?

In eight batches of chicks, I never once had any try to hop onto the hanging bottle, and it totally solved the shavings in the water.

In eight batches of chicks, I never once had any try to hop onto the hanging bottle, and it totally solved the shavings in the water.

Gosh I wish I could say that. I elevated my bottle as much as possible but for some reason the dominant hen always roosts right on top all the time. And of course where do you think her fertilizer ends up?

Back
Top Bottom