Hard lesson learned re: chick waterers

Nov 2, 2022
Quincy, FL
I got my first batch of day-old chicks this week, and I experienced a loss the first day that could have been prevented. I wanted to share what happened to my bird with the hope that maybe another newbie can learn from my mistakes.

I got a plastic chick waterer from Tractor Supply, and I thought that it was safe since there was less than a centimeter of water in the dish. It's the type that screws onto a quart mason jar. The chicks were drinking out of it with no issues at first, and I went about my day without thinking anything of it.

When I checked on them after work, I watched one of the chicks fall face-first into the water dish. She totally submerged her beak and got soaking wet. I immediately grabbed her and ran to the bathroom to dry her off with a hairdryer, but she was already unresponsive. It happened so fast, and unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to save her.

I was terrified of more birds drowning, so I searched the house for something I could put in the bottom of the dish to prevent them from falling in. I ended up using all the glass marbles from a Mancala game, and that seems to be working. I also raised the waterer with a plastic dish to make it more difficult for them to climb in there in the first place (and as an added bonus, it prevents them from kicking all the bedding into the water).

Thank you for reading. Not looking for sympathy, but please be kind as I already feel awful about this.

I got my first batch of day-old chicks this week, and I experienced a loss the first day that could have been prevented. I wanted to share what happened to my bird with the hope that maybe another newbie can learn from my mistakes.

I got a plastic chick waterer from Tractor Supply, and I thought that it was safe since there was less than a centimeter of water in the dish. It's the type that screws onto a quart mason jar. The chicks were drinking out of it with no issues at first, and I went about my day without thinking anything of it.

When I checked on them after work, I watched one of the chicks fall face-first into the water dish. She totally submerged her beak and got soaking wet. I immediately grabbed her and ran to the bathroom to dry her off with a hairdryer, but she was already unresponsive. It happened so fast, and unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to save her.

I was terrified of more birds drowning, so I searched the house for something I could put in the bottom of the dish to prevent them from falling in. I ended up using all the glass marbles from a Mancala game, and that seems to be working. I also raised the waterer with a plastic dish to make it more difficult for them to climb in there in the first place (and as an added bonus, it prevents them from kicking all the bedding into the water).

Thank you for reading. Not looking for sympathy, but please be kind as I already feel awful about this.
Thank you so much for sharing. I’m getting chicks soon. (First time chick momma here).

I watched one of the chicks fall face-first into the water dish. She totally submerged her beak and got soaking wet.
I'm so sorry you had to go through a chick loss but I'm also super confused by this. I don't follow how less than a cm of water caused a death as I've been using these waterers for 20years no problem.:oops: Is there a chance that your brooder is too hot? I'm hoping others will chime in (well not hoping they lost chicks,) and give experience of this being a known danger. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

I never have used those waterers, but not because of any possible danger. I just never had more than 21 chicks at a time so always used a 4 oz little glass bowl for their first two weeks until they learn to use the nipple waterer. I put a cat toy in it, and it's got a bell inside so sometimes they peck it and jump back lol.
1680117949954.png

Attachments

• Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm so sorry you had to go through a chick loss but I'm also super confused by this. I don't follow how less than a cm of water caused a death as I've been using these waterers for 20years no problem.:oops: Is there a chance that your brooder is too hot? I'm hoping others will chime in (well not hoping they lost chicks,) and give experience of this being a known danger. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
I've seen a dead chick with its head in the water at least once, same kind of waterer, a few decades ago. It looked like it just fell asleep. I have never been sure whether it actually fell asleep with its head dropping into the water, or whether another chick stepped on it and shoved the head down, or whether there had been something else wrong with that chick that I never knew about.

I don't think it's particularly common for chicks to drown/die in the water, but I'm pretty sure it happens sometimes instead of never.

I've used those waterers without marbles and with marbles. My current preference is to put some marbles in them for the first few days.

I'm not terribly worried about chicks drowning, but I like that they peck at the marbles and find the water a bit faster than they otherwise might. (I hate trying to dip tiny chick beaks in water without drowning them, and I've never been sure if it actually helps or not. With shiny marbles in the water, I see them peck and drink quite quickly.) After I'm sure the chicks are drinking, I put in fewer marbles each time I refill the water, and they're all out in less than a week. (I also hate picking marbles out of poopy chick water so I can dump & refill it.)

Back
Top Bottom