Chicks love grass!

RSTX

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 8, 2007
Temple, TX
Our 14 chicks are now just over three weeks old and thriving. They love the occasional blade of grass. I've been giving them just a small amount (maybe 10 blades(split between the 14 chicks) 1"-2" long each, once a day) and they will grab it and take off before another chick gets a bite.

I recall reading not to give them too much green (be it grass, weeds, vegetables, whatever) when they are small to avoid diarhea (spelling?). How old do they need to be before I turn them loose in the run which has lots of grass? They are still in the brooder under the heat lamp right now, but their feathers are coming on fast. I hope to put them in the coop sometime in early April.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Rick,
Your chicks are about the same age as mine. I put them out in the coop last week in a separate area with a heat lamp. It is attached to a run, and I usually open the door for them to go out at 4-6 weeks. The run is not snake proof, so they are watched pretty carefully and locked back up at night. My run is dirt though.

You could let them out for a little bit each day to peck at the grass for a while. Just make sure they don't eat so much they get impacted crops. They will probably start pecking at the dirt too to get the goodies underneath.

Back
Top Bottom