Update on sick chicks: what else can I do ?

Pics

BrahmasMama02

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
I’m losing chicks left and right. They are one week old. I started with 20 on Saturday. 1 died on Monday night from pasty butt complications .Ive been dealing with pasty butt issues non-stop and NO the brooder is not too hot. It’s 83-84 in hottest spot and and 60 in back corner. My house is 66 degrees/ they are inside. Got 6 more chicks from same place (same batch )Another one died yesterday morning (was expected / slow decline ) two died in the night last night. (One was unexpected )I’m at 22 chicks now. Out of the ones left three are concerning . One is a runt and won’t eat on her own but tolerates syringe feeding. The other two will NOT tolerate syringe feeding and are kind of giving up.

I switched to purina medicated feed and to bottled water. We think that maybe some rain water slipped into our well and that the water is contaminated some how ( we had a Hot spell) We also started a preventative corid dosage in their water. I know corid is uncommon in their age group but something is wrong with these chicks. Half of them are almost not thriving while the others are wired (for now ) would have said the same for the others.

Not sure what else to do because I’m so antsy . I just want to see them better. UGHHHH

as soon as I posted this, I found one of the Brahmas collapsed and unresponsive (one of the three) what in the world am I dealing with ?

I will also add that one of the signs I’ve noticed that One is not feeling well and that it might die is that I’ll hear loud cheeping from the brooder I’ll go check and it’s chicks with eyes half open and low wings .

Last edited:
Can you post some pics of the set up? I'm so sorry, this sounds really traumatic. Is this your first time with chicks or no? This is going to be a weird question but what does it smell like in your brooder? Does it smell anything like cooking chicken? Do they look puffed up? If you have alot more detail in another thread I apologize for asking questions but it's helpful to keep it all in just one thread. I kinda consider NatJ the chick expert so maybe he'll get on here. Where did the come from and "how?"

Can you post some pics of the set up? I'm so sorry, this sounds really traumatic. Is this your first time with chicks or no? This is going to be a weird question but what does it smell like in your brooder? Does it smell anything like cooking chicken? Do they look puffed up? You said you started with 20, now at 22.... ? If you have alot more detail in another thread I apologize for asking questions but it's helpful to keep it all in just one thread. I kinda consider NatJ the chick expert so maybe he'll get on here. Where did the come from and "how?"
Sorry about that 😅 my other threads dried up and I’m in a tricky situation. I’m actually holding a dying baby chick by the fire right now in a towel . No, the coup does not smell like cooked chicken. . The chicks came from Iowa and were overnighted to Virginia. I got six “replacement chicks “ from rural king a couple days ago . That’s how I have 22 and in about 5 minutes I’m guessing 21.

Attachments

• IMG_6075.jpeg
    IMG_6075.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 36
Sorry about that 😅 my other threads dried up and I’m in a tricky situation. I’m actually holding a dying baby chick by the fire right now in a towel . No, the coup does not smell like cooked chicken. . The chicks came from Iowa and were overnighted to Virginia. I got six “replacement chicks “ from rural king a couple days ago . That’s how I have 22 and in about 5 minutes I’m guessing 21.
Sorry the chicks are Hoovers hatchery chicks .

They're not too young for coccidiosis, I've had them bring it in from the hatchery. Doesn't mean that's what it is. Do you see any bloody poo? Do you know if your heat lamp is Teflon?

They're not too young for coccidiosis, I've had them bring it in from the hatchery. Doesn't mean that's what it is. Do you see any bloody poo? Do you know if your heat lamp is Teflon?
no bloody poop^ more so using corid for just in case and preventive measures . And this is my first time with my own chicks but I grew up raising chickens for my mom. And what is Teflon ? I will say that I switched to lamp after they started getting ill. Their brooder plate was cutting off and on and they seemed really freaked out by it .

I wonder how many days they were at Rural King? The damage may have been done there. Have you ever known anyone who works there? They'll tell you that they have alot of chick death due to metal troughs with red heat lamps.

The first batch of 20 were there for approximately 16 hours . I picked them up the morning after the were put in their boxes . The second batch was there for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom