💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
ME
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I am not too worried because I think I know the reason, just want to make sure nothing is going on.

My chicks are four weeks old now. But when they were 2 and 3 weeks old they were sneezing. They only sneeze a tiny bit now. I am thinking that it was them shedding their fluff. I could see little bits floating around the brooder. When they saw a peace they would chase it and then they sneeze. Am I right?

Thank you,

cluckmecoop7

I forgot to add, the chicks were acting fine when they were 2 and 3 weeks old and they still are. They don't sneeze and much anymore and I'm guessing it's because they don't have a lot of fluff anymore to shed. Hope this helps.

Hi all,

I am not too worried because I think I know the reason, just want to make sure nothing is going on.

My chicks are four weeks old now. But when they were 2 and 3 weeks old they were sneezing. They only sneeze a tiny bit now. I am thinking that it was them shedding their fluff. I could see little bits floating around the brooder. When they saw a peace they would chase it and then they sneeze. Am I right?

Thank you,

cluckmecoop7

Check for dust in ur brooder
And.shavings
Maybe yr feed is.dry and dusty
I would monitor for 24hrs
If they keep sneezing and have watery nose

Hi all,

Thank you,

cluckmecoop7

I forgot to add, the chicks were acting fine when they were 2 and 3 weeks old and they still are. They don't sneeze and much anymore and I'm guessing it's because they don't have a lot of fluff anymore to shed. Hope this helps.
More than likely that was the cause of the sneezing. Do you have them outside now?
Chicks do need shelter/protection from drafts, but plenty of ventilation, they are dusty and as you found those little bits of fluff float all over the place.

If the frequency of sneezing increases, you see watery eyes, lethargy or mucous from the nostrils, then it's time to be concerned.

Thank you both.

@Wyorp Rock: No, I don't have them outside yet. I feel they are still a little too young. Only 4 weeks old. I am probably going to put them out at 7 weeks. I have a small cage that I put them in on sunny, warm days. They sit in the sun on my porch for about 10-30 minutes depending on the day.

@Saaniya: I have wood shavings in the brooder. I thought that is what People use. Is there something wrong with what I am doing? Here is a picture of the brooder set up. (Not really a brooder anymore but a pen.)

DSCN7574.jpg

Back
Top Bottom