chicks taking a long time to hatch

I put them in all at the same time on october 14 it pipped Thursday and did nothing else so I waited bit the other two that pipped with it didnt make it they died in the shell
If you set your eggs at 12 PM on October the 14th, 21 days will not have passed until at least 12 noon on Thursday of this week. I suspect that the eggs are weak because the flock either lacks something in their diet or the eggs were improperly stored or handled.

If you set your eggs at 12 PM on October the 14th, 21 days will not have passed until at least 12 noon on Thursday of this week.  I suspect that the eggs are weak because the flock either lacks something in their diet or the eggs were improperly stored or handled.  

This is my first time hatching but I stored them with the big end up until I got enough to put in the incubator I feed my chickens laying crumble and scratch grains and cracked corn with grit and oyster shells on the side I dont know what else could I not be feeding them oh and they free range all day so I dont know what else they are getting from the yard and surrounding woods

Last edited:
Do you candle your eggs? If you don't it is very easy to learn, candle them at 8 and 16 days, if a large number are not fertile or are aborting early you will know it.

There could also be a problem with the incubator. If possible put a second thermometer and hydrometer inside to double check temps and humidity. A lot of cheap digital thermometers also record highest and lowest temps which would be good since you catch watch it every minute.

If there is a problem with the incubator it can be worse than just a low hatch rate, it can produce crippled chicks.

Last edited:
This is my first time hatching but I stored them with the big end up until I got enough to put in the incubator I feed my chickens laying crumble and scratch grains and cracked corn with grit and oyster shells on the side I dont know what else could I not be feeding them oh and they free range all day so I dont know what else they are getting from the yard and surrounding woods

When feeding for "setting" eggs only give your hens (and the roosters too) a good and complete layer, and by all means leave the scratch feed and cracked corn out of their diet.

At which temperature, what humidity, for how long, whereabouts, and how often do you turn the eggs that you intend to set? This all has a bearing, and a very large one at that on the success of the hatch.

In other words the 14 or so days before you set the eggs are more (or at least as) important that the 21 days that the eggs stay in the incubator, or else under the old hen.

Last edited:
Ok so why shouldnt I feed the chickens scratch grains I thought it would give them a well balanced diet so they can be healthy I mean I understand corn is not good but why not grains

Ok so why shouldnt I feed the chickens scratch grains I thought it would give them a well balanced diet so they can be healthy I mean I understand corn is not good but why not grains

Scratch is primarily for entertainment purposes, that is why it's called "scratch", it is meant to be thrown around the pen so the birds have something to keep them busy hunting and pecking. The layer feed already includes grains/com, the layer feed also has numerous vitamins and other additives for a balanced diet. I don't think corn is bad, I feed it before bedtime in the winter months to supposedly help keep them warm, but not at any other time of the year.

If you are feeding a LOT of scratch (over 20% of their diet) then it is possible the chickens could be lacking some vital nutrients and that could affect their eggs especially if they don't have access to grass/bugs and other things.

IMO you should learn to candle the eggs with a flashlight, that will tell you if many of the eggs are duds and possibly not even fertilized, or if the eggs are aborting after starting to grow. Something went very wrong with your last hatch and candling will help you figure out what is going on. Besides candling a couple of times during incubation is one of the high points while waiting for the chicks to hatch!

Last edited:
Well I feed the scratch on the side if they want it I don't force it on them, I do how ever let them free range,... meaning I let them out to have full run of the yard and woods during the day and they all return to the coop at night
I did candle the eggs but as I stated earlier this was my first hatching so I knew somethings would likely go wrong but I lost over half if them I was so disappointed but now I fed them only layer crumbles this morning maybe they'll be happy enough with just that and maybe I can get some more eggs in the incubator with batter luck... thanks for the advise

Well I feed the scratch on the side if they want it I don't force it on them, I do how ever let them free range,... meaning I let them out to have full run of the yard and woods during the day and they all return to the coop at night
I would not feed scratch on the side, if you want to use it thrown a few handfuls out to them once day so they can "scratch around" and so it only makes up a small part of their diet.

Glad to hear you are feeding them layer crumbles now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom