Chicks too cold?

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
They’re not chirping loud but they sleep very close. Are they too cold?

Attachments

• EE8416B9-8789-4250-ABA3-3E46AFAECC14.jpeg
    EE8416B9-8789-4250-ABA3-3E46AFAECC14.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DD59E449-9547-4901-81CB-40D717760504.jpeg
    DD59E449-9547-4901-81CB-40D717760504.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 932FED35-7779-41C8-87AC-DED4E4C1FE1D.jpeg
    932FED35-7779-41C8-87AC-DED4E4C1FE1D.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 10
They’re not chirping loud but they sleep very close. Are they too cold?
What kind of light is that and how far away is it? They seem to be just fine. They have room to walk away if it’s hot and they’re not crowded underneath it they’re just laid out underneath it. They’ll be fine. They’re very comfortable and you have an extremely ideal environment for them. Send some more pictures of the brooder from a distance. And when they go out into the coop don’t put a heat lamp in they’re. My area gets down into the 20’s F at night and the coop gets around 35-45. No dead chickens. They have healthy feathers extremely energetic and they’re strong and hardy. They’ll adapt. My chickens also don’t huddle for warmth in the coop so when they’re grown up they can survive a lot of cold weather. It’s wind and moisture that does them in. Their feathers are like a coat.

sorry for that anyways your chicks appear to be fine. Send some more pics?

What kind of light is that and how far away is it? They seem to be just fine. They have room to walk away if it’s hot and they’re not crowded underneath it they’re just laid out underneath it. They’ll be fine. They’re very comfortable and you have an extremely ideal environment for them. Send some more pictures of the brooder from a distance. And when they go out into the coop don’t put a heat lamp in they’re. My area gets down into the 20’s F at night and the coop gets around 35-45. No dead chickens. They have healthy feathers extremely energetic and they’re strong and hardy. They’ll adapt. My chickens also don’t huddle for warmth in the coop so when they’re grown up they can survive a lot of cold weather. It’s wind and moisture that does them in. Their feathers are like a coat.

sorry for that anyways your chicks appear to be fine. Send some more pics?

I have no clue on the light! I think it’s an old reptile light.

They just seem sorta crowed together. I’m putting a thermometer on the bedding now to see what temp exactly it is. In their smaller brooder it was 95 and they were happy

I have no clue on the light! I think it’s an old reptile light.

They just seem sorta crowed together. I’m putting a thermometer on the bedding now to see what temp exactly it is. In their smaller brooder it was 95 and they were happy
I see. Personally I always think it’s a bad idea to have a small brooder. They need space to get under and away from the light. The chickens aren’t all piled together on top of eachother and a few are laid out away from the group so at the most I would lower the lamp about an inch or two (just a rough estimate based off of the pictures because I can’t see the measurements well). A general rule of thumb is as they grow up and wander further away move the light further away

I see. Personally I always think it’s a bad idea to have a small brooder. They need space to get under and away from the light. The chickens aren’t all piled together on top of eachother and a few are laid out away from the group so at the most I would lower the lamp about an inch or two (just a rough estimate based off of the pictures because I can’t see the measurements well). A general rule of thumb is as they grow up and wander further away move the light further away

The thermometer reads 86

They look fine to me.
Where do you have the food and water?
They are not pileing up directly under the light, and you say they are not chirping loudly.
Your temp is fine as long as they can get away to cooler sections when needed.
In the coming weeks as their feathers grow in, you can decrease the light about 5 degrees each week.

They look fine to me.
Where do you have the food and water?
They are not pileing up directly under the light, and you say they are not chirping loudly.
Your temp is fine as long as they can get away to cooler sections when needed.
In the coming weeks as their feathers grow in, you can decrease the light about 5 degrees each week.

Food and water are on other side. I just noticed them tightly packed and I didn’t want them too cold.

They seem happy when they’re awake! There flying and jumping. It’s adorable

Attachments

• 14160180-B8FD-482B-A75B-DCDDBC9DE1AF.jpeg
    14160180-B8FD-482B-A75B-DCDDBC9DE1AF.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom