Chicks will only eat crumble POWDER... help!

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
I have 16 day-old chicks (2 Golden Comets and 2 Black Australorps). Thanks to some great advice on the forums, I started grinding their chick crumble as the pieces were too large to eat. They love it and are thriving. The problem is I'd like to switch them back to regular crumble size... they're not cooperating. I've tried ratio'ing powder to crumble, increasing the amount of crumble over several days. I even found a smaller crumble (Blue Seal) and tried going cold turkey; they starting spinning around the feeder in a panic! I gave them a few hours to cope, then gave the powder back. Of course they acted famished 😒

They would rather eat their own feces flecks and shavings. I know they're capable. They'll eat full-size pieces out of my hand, and they're large enough to fly out of their 30" tall brooder. Please tell me they'll outgrow this. They also love dirt/peat moss, probably because it resembles they're beloved powder! Dust baths need strict monitoring, as one just shovels mouthfuls down her gullet.

I love our chicks, but they're making me insane 🤪

Oh no! :lol:
Do you leave food out all day and night? Maybe night time only the reg. crumbles and see if they're willing to try it then as there is nothing else. One feeder with the powder and one with the reg. crumbles?

I do leave the food out 24/7, but they go to bed at 8 and don't eat again until 6 in the morning. I could try a second feeder with regular crumble. Good idea!

It's been a couple weeks, and I'm still struggling with this issue. They'll eat the crumble, but only if it's mixed in powder, or offered by hand. Is it safe to play a bit of hard ball, and only offer powder as a "treat" mid-day or before bed? They're almost 5 weeks old, so I'm worried they won't eat as much as they need to.

Maybe the feed is old—what is the date on the bag? What kind of feed? Make sure feed is not moldy or funky smelling.
If there’s nothing wrong w the feed, just leave it as is. They will eat when they get hungry enuf.

Last edited:
It's been a couple weeks, and I'm still struggling with this issue. They'll eat the crumble, but only if it's mixed in powder, or offered by hand. Is it safe to play a bit of hard ball, and only offer powder as a "treat" mid-day or before bed? They're almost 5 weeks old, so I'm worried they won't eat as much as they need to.
You have some stubborn ones there. Giving the reg. crumble in the morning and seeing how it goes might be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom