Chicks

dada

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Bracey Va
I have a hen sitting on eggs. One hatched yesterday afternoon Just wondering if they would hatch at night or wait until the next day. I wouldn't think only one egg would hatch I have two roosters most should be fertile. What y'all think ?

They can hatch at any time, day or night. Just like human babies, they come when they are ready!

If they were all started at the same time, the remaining eggs should hatch within the next day or two, if they are going to hatch. However, if some eggs were added later, you have a staggered hatch and it will take longer. Chickens generally hatch at day 21, give or take a day or two. So you would have to figure out their "due date" based on that. The key will be getting mama hen to remain on the unhatched eggs when she has other chicks to take care of. Some will sit until you take the bad eggs away, and others want to be up and taking care of the chicks right away, so be prepared for both.

Good luck!

If you end up with a staggered hatch, the hen will likely leave the stragglers to take care of the live chicks. Be ready if you see her leave the nest to mother the chicks with some means to continue the incubation for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom