Chigger bites! Help?!

So I'm coming to you live today from a scalding bath of Epsom salts. ( no visitors please ) that seems to be soothing already.I should probably just stay in here, the benadryl is making me snarly. when I do get out, I'll blow dry/ scald the affected areas again, followed by a layer of bug cream or two...i have a variety. Then I'll pop a claratin which I hope won't make me feel as dopey as the benadryl. Here's hoping. It's not a bad day to spend locked in the bathroom...

Nail polish will not work. I had really bad chiggers all over my legs and I tried everything under the sun that people said would work. Finally I went online to a feed supply place and purchased 10% Permethrin. It is the only thing that worked, I had to dilute it and apply it regularly and wrap my legs but it went away. Chiggers are mites and have to be killed, treating the symptoms with creams and trying to prevent the itching is futile.

Try either apple cider vinegar OR SCOPE mouthwash - I had them really bad one year - I tried both of these and one of themworked, not sure which - I think it was the SCOPE
Listerine would also work, try the 'search' method on here, lots of advice

I tried nail polish. It itched MORE!

So either the acetone that I used to take the nail polish off or the vinegar I put on after the acetone worked and they are then way, way less itchy and not as neon red.

Don't know which works, I just do both now.

Chiggers do not actually bury into your skin. The bugs most people confuse for chiggers are scabies which DO bury into the skin. Chiggers just drink blood and give you a nasty itch. Benadryl cream is what I used when I got bit and that worked for me, but I had to apply it often. At night I took benadryl pills or on days when I didn't have much to do because those things knock me out, even if they are non-drowzy. Other than that you pretty much just have to wait it out a week or two until the intching goes away.

A buddy of mine has an "attack" of chiggers, and he is using a diaper rash product and says that it is helping.
idunno.gif
Of course he is old--yep, way older than even me-- and tells stories.
lol.png

They are the most evil beasties, aren't they? Every time I think of a blackberry, I remember those chigger bites. Wild blackberries are good, but they're not worth it!

I found something called "After Bite" at WalMart or Walgreens...sorry, I can't remember which of the two. It works pretty good - you do need to apply it a few times but it sure did help fight the itching. I used the Epsom Salts too and they helped as well.

Hope you feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom