Chilled chick question

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Hello, all!

I'm not a newbie, and I have a question for those of you who have been through this before: 2 day old baby chick got away from the hen and got very cold. It was found on its back. We brought it inside and put it on a heating pad in one of those clear pet enclosures, so the temp is about 95 degrees. He was wobbly and weak this morning, but now has developed the dreaded gaping and 'click' sound of respiratory distress.

So, has anyone found a good way to combat respiratory distress that follows a chilled chick situation? And what is the cause, other than obvious depression of the immune system when being so close to death? Anyone had success with reheating a chilled chick and overcoming obvious respiratory issues?

Thanks!

Hello, all!

I'm not a newbie, and I have a question for those of you who have been through this before: 2 day old baby chick got away from the hen and got very cold. It was found on its back. We brought it inside and put it on a heating pad in one of those clear pet enclosures, so the temp is about 95 degrees. He was wobbly and weak this morning, but now has developed the dreaded gaping and 'click' sound of respiratory distress. 

So, has anyone found a good way to combat respiratory distress that follows a chilled chick situation?  And what is the cause, other than obvious depression of the immune system when being so close to death? Anyone had success with reheating a chilled chick and overcoming obvious respiratory issues?

Thanks!

No, I haven't had that experience. Keep it warm. Maybe if you have some poultry nutridrench and can get it to take a drop without it aspirating it might help revive it a bit. It will need some nutrition by the end of day three though and should be put back under the hen during night hours as soon as it is feeling better. Hope it makes it.

Back
Top Bottom