Chinese Blue Breasted Quail (Button Quail) Color Varieties

Can anyone tell me the sex of these two King Quail??

The silver male has a very clear white patch, and the brown has a tan one, but they don't look like complete 'bibs' (nothing like my big boy). They were sold as females, but I have doubts. Is it more likely that these are immature males?

Thanks!
Sarah
I think are females. If you can give us a photo of her necks it will be better, overcoat the grey one.

They are all so beautiful. I have a silver blue face female and I believe a red breasted male. I plan on hatching some of the pairs eggs, what do you suppose the chicks will come out to look like. Will they be all red breasted or all silver or a mix of the two? I really want a tuxedo and a cinnamon breasted so I'll be visiting my feed store soon.

hippoatlarge, I too live in California and found some button quails at my local feed store. Check your feed store and some farms. I have found a variety of different colors.

Has anyone found that each colour lays different colour eggs?

I have at least 4 different colours in my tach from eBay. From olive green. To beige to dark brown

I've steered and hope to hatch all separately ;-)

It will bE so easy if my silvers lay one colour the pale ones

I have a silver female and she lays a medium dark egg with darker speckles. They are very pretty and the shell is a pale blue (like a robins egg but much lighter) on the inside.

Hello!
My quails just turned 8 weeks old and all three girls laid there first eggs today! Are these eggs fertilized? How long can I store button qauil eggs, before incubating them? Of course I should add that I have 3 males that are the same age. Not sure if they are mating successfully, but they definitely noticed the girls.

Advice is appreciated!:)

Yes they probably are fertile. I have stored for over 2 weeks at room temperature and still hatched close to 90%. I usually don't try to hatch the first eggs laid (I cook them and feed back including shells ground up). This gives the ladies extra calcium and protein!

Hi! Great pictures, they were really helpful!! However I still have some doubts and concerns... What are the differences between the normal blue breasted and red breasted males? How do you know if a male is a golden pearl?Is it the white on the nose? Also, is it true button quail dont always breed true to their color?

Back
Top Bottom