Chinese Geese....um..... personality

HollyOakFarm

Songster
May 3, 2021
Canby Oregon
Ok. So.
I picked up two Chinese Geese yesterday from a family that got them 1 week ago from another family rehoming them. They wanted them gone after 1 week because they were just too loud (which is understandable)... then when I picked them up, the mother tells me they've been aggressive to their (young active) children and they would have culled them if the previous owner hadn't asked them to try me first. The two Geese screamed the entire time I was there getting them. The brown goose has only sincerely charged at me once (today), but gave me plenty of warning and backed off as soon as I squared up to it. The white goose minds her own business.They alarm call at everything.

I have 4 American Buffs that have free range of our property and they are very pleasant to be around- they talk, wander around grazing, swim in various pools and greet me with enthusiasm when I get home.

I haven't had Chinese before (though I had an African Goose friend as a kid)..... I know each one is an individual..... but will they settle down and be more content to wander and graze like my other geese? What can I do to help them to get off on the right foot here? They've definitely had a rough couple of weeks and are clearly anxious. I'm totally prepared to give them time and space..... but jeez.

Screenshot_20220213-214434_Facebook.jpg

Ok. So.
I picked up two Chinese Geese yesterday from a family that got them 1 week ago from another family rehoming them. They wanted them gone after 1 week because they were just too loud (which is understandable)... then when I picked them up, the mother tells me they've been aggressive to their (young active) children and they would have culled them if the previous owner hadn't asked them to try me first. The two Geese screamed the entire time I was there getting them. The brown goose has only sincerely charged at me once (today), but gave me plenty of warning and backed off as soon as I squared up to it. The white goose minds her own business.They alarm call at everything.

I have 4 American Buffs that have free range of our property and they are very pleasant to be around- they talk, wander around grazing, swim in various pools and greet me with enthusiasm when I get home.

I haven't had Chinese before (though I had an African Goose friend as a kid)..... I know each one is an individual..... but will they settle down and be more content to wander and graze like my other geese? What can I do to help them to get off on the right foot here? They've definitely had a rough couple of weeks and are clearly anxious. I'm totally prepared to give them time and space..... but jeez.

View attachment 2993420
My sister has a brown Chinese and he is the sweetest thing ever! When I drive up he runs to meet my car and then usually waits at my door stretching to see in and when I get out of the car I pick him up. My family kids me that I come to see the goose instead of them! Lol! We had 2 females. Thayer have both recently passed😢 one was a Pomeranian (I think) and the other a Chinese brown that was hatched and raised with the exact same amount of attention. The girls would charge when I would bend over to pick him up, but they never made contact! Don’t get me wrong the male did his share of pinching when he was younger, but hardly at all anymore! When I say I love this boy that is no exaggeration!

I hope your 2 have calmed down now! I didn’t see when this was first posted.

We just brought home a new goose wife for him. He has been lonely for too long!

My sister has a brown Chinese and he is the sweetest thing ever! When I drive up he runs to meet my car and then usually waits at my door stretching to see in and when I get out of the car I pick him up. My family kids me that I come to see the goose instead of them! Lol! We had 2 females. Thayer have both recently passed😢 one was a Pomeranian (I think) and the other a Chinese brown that was hatched and raised with the exact same amount of attention. The girls would charge when I would bend over to pick him up, but they never made contact! Don’t get me wrong the male did his share of pinching when he was younger, but hardly at all anymore! When I say I love this boy that is no exaggeration!

I hope your 2 have calmed down now! I didn’t see when this was first posted.

We just brought home a new goose wife for him. He has been lonely for too long!
My post was from last month, so not too long ago.😊That's awesome that you've known some personable ones. My two Chinese have settled in, but really don't seek out human attention. I got another free goose a week later, that was supposed to be a white African female, and he's definitely a gander, and more than likely Chinese. He talks constantly. He was raised alone and then put out in a pasture with sheep. He's really clingy. Wants to be pet, but will nip. Even when he doesn't know anyone is around, he's talking. Good part is, he now has two girlfriends, he seems to be realizing he's a goose, and they all seem to be getting along.
Thanks for asking 🙂

Hi. A Chinese goose at the city park close to us lost her mate during Covid. We think it was hit by a car. They would swim across the lake to meet us prior to its passing. Now the widow/er is kind of isolated as all the Canadian geese and ducks are nesting. I am ISO another Chinese goose to rehome at Fountain Lake. It is sad to see this goose look for it’s partner in the glass doors of the boat house, where it tends to hang out now that it is alone. Pls advise.

Hi. A Chinese goose at the city park close to us lost her mate during Covid. We think it was hit by a car. They would swim across the lake to meet us prior to its passing. Now the widow/er is kind of isolated as all the Canadian geese and ducks are nesting. I am ISO another Chinese goose to rehome at Fountain Lake. It is sad to see this goose look for it’s partner in the glass doors of the boat house, where it tends to hang out now that it is alone. Pls advise.
Where are you located?

Richmond, Va. Yesterday we noted she has gone broody and laid an egg in a very public part of the park, close to the lake and a picnic area where people feed the Canadian geese bread. Perhaps she has cross bred with a Canadian Goose that has angel wing? They are often together since she lost her mate and neither migrate to other parts of the park.We may take some straw to the lake as there is little there now but a low stone barrier she laid her egg next to.

Last edited:
Update on my two Chinese from the original thread: They are both females, so we got a Chinese x African gander. Everyone is settled in and doing great. We hatched our first egg last week from this group. They are a quirky breed, but we love them.

Back
Top Bottom