Chipmunk in the coop...problem?

ev-chicka

Chirping
May 21, 2019
I have at least one chipmunk around that sneaks into coop and eats the feed...is this a problem? Are they dangerous to the chickens? The chickens don’t seem to mind and I don’t think there’s an easy way to keep the feed safe besides trapping the chipmunk...just wonder if this is necessary or we can all live harmoniously?

The only problem is that if it is getting in other more serious threats can too....unless by "sneaking in" you mean the coop/run is open, such as for free ranging, and it's just going in.....

Agree with other posters.... they may chew and create access for other critters. I let them be but I store feed in metal trash cans, feed and water in run and I use a hanging feeder. When the chickens have the run of the backyard the human size door to the run and coop is open and I check a couple of times a week if any rodents are building nests or scurry around in the coop. So far everyone ‘obeyed’ the eviction notice , sometimes with assistance of a broom:)

Imo it's better not to have feed in the coop full stop. It attracts rats and mice at best.
I would suggest feeding in the run.
If a chipmunk can get in so can a weasel.

Back
Top Bottom