Chirping egg

Bluebottlebunnyfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2019
I just brought in my eggs this morning and one is chirping. I have a hen setting on some eggs but 3 eggs were out of the nest. I thought they were just new eggs some other hen just laid. But turns out not. The chic has pecked a little hole in the shell. I put the egg in a paper towel lined bowl on my kitchen counter. What should I expect as far as time and everything. I’m new to chicken hatching. This was just an experiment in letting nature take its course. I have no idea what I’m doing here. Help?

Chicks need a certain amount of humidity and warmth to continue hatching. Do not force the shell off... the chick needs time to finish absorbing the yolk. Can you put the egg back with the broody hen. Are her other eggs starting to hatch as well?
If the broody won't take the chick back, it will need a brooder with a heat source immediately. Food and water can wait a day or so, the yolk will be enough nutrition to start with.
Do start another thread as @Leahs Coop mentioned to help you through the hatching process. Good luck!

byc-sign-welcome.gif

Chicks need a certain amount of humidity and warmth to continue hatching. Do not force the shell off... the chick needs time to finish absorbing the yolk. Can you put the egg back with the broody hen. Are her other eggs starting to hatch as well?
If the broody won't take the chick back, it will need a brooder with a heat source immediately. Food and water can wait a day or so, the yolk will be enough nutrition to start with.
Do start another thread as @Leahs Coop mentioned to help you through the hatching process. Good luck!

View attachment 1839898

View attachment 1839898
Ok I’m g

Back
Top Bottom