Chocolate/Mauve Ameraucana color project~ BeakHouse

Just to introduce myself. My name is Reed. I live in Gilbert, AZ. I have been keeping chickens now for the last 4 years. I grew up on a farm in NE Colorado and we always had chickens but then school, work and many moves made it difficult to keep chickens.

I moved onto our urban farm in October 2010 and have had a mixture of chickens since then.

My current chocolate project started with eggs I won on an auction from Pips-n-Peeps.

I hatched 2 chocolate roosters, one split black/chocolate rooster and 2 chocolate hens. I also hatched 3 black hens and a funny light down hen that I'll show a picture of in a minute from the extra black eggs Jean included.

Of those roosters, only one was pea combed. I sold off the split and his brother both with small but straight combs. I used the chocolate rooster over the black hens and this spring I hatched the following: 3 split black roosters, 3 chocolate rooster (one with a straight comb), 2 chocolate pullets and 2 mauve (from the light hen).

I am waiting for them to mature but am thinking of using the split black rooster over the black hens from last year.

This is the black hen from last year (molting), a chocolate pullet 2014, and mauve 2014 (from the light bird below)

She is in the middle of a molt, but came from the black eggs I hatched out. This is the mother of both mauve pullets this year. I think I'll try again with her and the split black/chocolate rooster.

Here is a single view of the mauve pullet 2014.

The split black/chocolate rooster I'd like to use this year 2014 hatch.

One of 2 chocolate pullets from 2014, in the back are her chocolate brothers and the other mauve pullet 2014.

The other mauve pullet 2014 (a bit more fluff at the base of her tail, and the other chocolate pullet 2014.

I am not sure where the light mother came from genetically but I really like the chicks she threw, the mauve. I'm thinking of trying a few more with her and her 2 black sisters and the split black rooster and see what happens this spring.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Reed

Just to introduce myself. My name is Reed. I live in Gilbert, AZ. I have been keeping chickens now for the last 4 years. I grew up on a farm in NE Colorado and we always had chickens but then school, work and many moves made it difficult to keep chickens.

I moved onto our urban farm in October 2010 and have had a mixture of chickens since then.

My current chocolate project started with eggs I won on an auction from Pips-n-Peeps.

I hatched 2 chocolate roosters, one split black/chocolate rooster and 2 chocolate hens. I also hatched 3 black hens and a funny light down hen that I'll show a picture of in a minute from the extra black eggs Jean included.

Of those roosters, only one was pea combed. I sold off the split and his brother both with small but straight combs. I used the chocolate rooster over the black hens and this spring I hatched the following: 3 split black roosters, 3 chocolate rooster (one with a straight comb), 2 chocolate pullets and 2 mauve (from the light hen).

I am waiting for them to mature but am thinking of using the split black rooster over the black hens from last year.

This is the black hen from last year (molting), a chocolate pullet 2014, and mauve 2014 (from the light bird below)

She is in the middle of a molt, but came from the black eggs I hatched out. This is the mother of both mauve pullets this year. I think I'll try again with her and the split black/chocolate rooster.

Here is a single view of the mauve pullet 2014.

The split black/chocolate rooster I'd like to use this year 2014 hatch.

One of 2 chocolate pullets from 2014, in the back are her chocolate brothers and the other mauve pullet 2014.

The other mauve pullet 2014 (a bit more fluff at the base of her tail, and the other chocolate pullet 2014.

I am not sure where the light mother came from genetically but I really like the chicks she threw, the mauve. I'm thinking of trying a few more with her and her 2 black sisters and the split black rooster and see what happens this spring.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Reed
Hey Reed,
I am so happy to see all the beautiful pictures. Cesar and I bought your 2 split cockerels and the chocolate cockerel. I am putting them with few black hens this month and am looking forward to what I will get.

Thank you again,
Melanie

I have been wrapped up in work, i feel like a dunce but just can't remember/ compute.... a blue roo over a chocolate hen gives....?

I am probably going to be ordering eggs sooner rather than later...

Blue or black hens with split to chocolate blue or black roosters ( Visually blue or black but carrying the sex-linked chocolate gene. )

I have been wrapped up in work, i feel like a dunce but just can't remember/ compute.... a blue roo over a chocolate hen gives....?

I am probably going to be ordering eggs sooner rather than later...
Hens can only give the chocolate gene to roosters and will give it to all roosters, so...

25% blue pullets
25% black pullets
25% blue/split to chocolate cockerels, will show blue
25% black/split to chocolate cockerels, will show black

Back
Top Bottom